1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just snagged a cheap GK cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by volerium, Jul 7, 2014.

1. volerium

volerium

May 21, 2012
    Wichita, KS
    GK neo 212 II. Out the door for 469 brand new at MF. Yeah I know this is stupid and bragging but life has been ultra poopy lately and this is the first good thing that's happened in a while.

Just had to tell someone.

They matched the prymaxevintage sale of 20 percent off if anyone else is interested. That'll get you to 479. I also had a ten dollar credit.

Thanks!

2. Blankandson

Blankandson Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Gallatin, Tennessee
    Congrats. I'm not familiar with the prymaxevintage sale. What is it? I'd like to get 20% a few things now myself. And I've heard great reviews on the 212 II from those who paid the full price. Good combo. 500 watts I think?

3. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    He got the Neo 212 cab. You're thinking of the MB212-ii combo. The Neo series cabs are a step above the MB's.

4. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Definitely got a sweet cab for a sweet price.

5. volerium

volerium

May 21, 2012
    Wichita, KS
    Prymaxe is doing 20 % off site wide for the holiday. A lot of places will match prices or sales if you call. I'm excited to try it. The cab I have now is an old old peavey combo from the 80s. The head died and salvaged the cab part. Old peavey stuff are like that are tanks but still.. This will be a super upgrade I'm thinking

6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    :woot: WOOT! :woot: Fab Deal! Congrats :thumbsup:

7. volerium

volerium

May 21, 2012
    Wichita, KS
    Well here's an update on this. Ordered the cab on 07/05/14 and it was back ordered forever. So they gave me the same 20 percent off deal on the GK MBF 800. Both the cab and head shipping out today and should be here Wednesday so that's cool I guess. Whole new GK rig to try out

AngryPig1 and Haji like this.
  8. DerTeufel

DerTeufel

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    Awesome cab and a sweet deal on that head!! I have a GK MBF500 and a NEO 212-II and love the sound!

9. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    I have this as my main rig also. I played an outside gig with it yesterday and it sounded amazing. No PA support but it handled it just fine with headroom to spare. Nice score on the cab. It is the only one I use no matter how large the venue. Tip: Pull the back casters out for the perfect tiltback angle.

10. volerium

volerium

May 21, 2012
    Wichita, KS
    Sitting here thinking about my new rig on the way and just realized I don't want that tweeter. I'm gonna be pushing heavy distortion through there. Is there a way to disable the tweeter completely with that set up?

11. You can usually un wire the tweeter. But really, simply turning it down all the way (or off) should do it.

12. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Not bragging at all, you're sharing a happy experience AND giving away a tip on a discount as well. Sounds pretty on-point to me ;)

The more I've played bass and been involved with music in general, I've learned that if you aren't having fun or getting a mood boost out of playing, writing, buying gear, tweaking your stuff or whatever then you need to find something else to do. If scoring the cab lifted your spirits, more power to ya! Enjoy that cab, wish I had one! :thumbsup:

13. volerium

volerium

May 21, 2012
    Wichita, KS
    Chime in here chef, is it possible to turn that tweeter off completely?

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Can try turning way down first, but that makes the l-pad have to handle all the heat.

If the control gets warm during playing, you should go in and disconnect the tweeter and all the filter parts/l-pad and wire it so it just goes jack---> 12's. Leave the tweeter mounted in the cab just to plug its mounting hole.

All that can easily be put back to stock should you choose to someday.

15. gpx1200

gpx1200

Apr 24, 2013
    spencer mass
    id call gk on it first but I think switching the switch on the back of the cab to biamp mode will switch the tweeter to its own unused channel, this mode is for use with the biamp mode of the rb series heads that have a separate amp for the horns.

16. volerium

volerium

May 21, 2012
    Wichita, KS
    I need to get up and do that. Been a busy couple days but I'll figure that out and post back. Love this set up BTW.

17. sonofshel

sonofshel Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Thats so rad

18. volerium

volerium

May 21, 2012
    Wichita, KS
    Probably the best deal I've gotten to date. $1500 rig for $1200. Still a good chunk of change but I'll take any savings I can get.

19. rdcowan

rdcowan

Aug 13, 2009
    Central Texas
    Just looked at the Prymaxe web site and looks like they don't handle GK any more. Bummer! I was wanting another Neo 112 & MB 500.

20. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Yes! Just set the cab to biamp mode, the mb series of amps don't have the biamp ability that rb series have (and fusion 550). That way no signal is being sent to your tweeter. I do it the same way when I pair it with my Ashdown ABM. When I had GK RB head, I set it to biamp mode too, but I just turned down the tweeter control on my amp all the way off. Worked fine as well.