Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just want to share my excitement

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Oct 25, 2004.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

Since I started playing bass 18 years ago, I've played mostly latin music and I like it, but the music I love the most is classic rock.

A few years ago, I met a good drummer at the university and we started a covers band, playing only for the pleasure of doing it. We've played like one or two YEARLY gigs and those moments are so special to me.

Now, on October the 28th, we have a big gig at the university and I'm so excited again and ready to put all my energy on it. I just want to share these feelings with all of you. This is the set list:

-One Of These Days (Pink Floyd)
    -The Analog Kid (Rush)
    -Young Lust (Pink Floyd)
    -You Shook Me All Night Long (AC/DC)
    -Hey You (Pink Floyd)
    -Bastille Day (Rush)
    -Roundabout (Yes) Segue into:
    -Bass solo (gulp! :eek: ): Sexually Active intro / Country Music (Stuart Hamm)
    -Cupid's Dead (Extreme)
    -Moby Dick (Drum Solo - Led Zeppelin)
    -I Want You (She's So Heavy) (The Beatles)
    -2112 Overture / The Temples Of Syrinx (Rush)
    -Eruption (Guitar solo - Van Halen) Segue into:
    -Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love (Van Halen)
    -(Encore) Comfortably Numb (Pink Floyd)

May sound ambitious, but I think we do it decently (well... there's a good amount of good luck in my solo). The main problem for playing this kind of music here is NO SINGERS. It's very hard to find a good one. The guy who sings with us is good, but singing this set is an extremely hard task for him. We wanted to play AC/DC's Back In Black, but we couldn't because of him :crying: .

We won't play our kinda "signature tune": Rush's La Villa Strangiato, because everybody here know that we play it every time and we're afraid of boring them, but I love it. I'm missing it this time. That's the one which started this delicious experience. I played this tune for hours at home but never found someone who could play it with me until I met this drummer. I knew he's a Rush fan and I asked him: "I know you're a Rush fan. I've always wanted to play La Villa Strangiato. Would you like to play it with me?". Since then we've also played "Tom Sawyer", "The Spirit Of Radio", "YYZ" and "Limelight" along with stuff going from Kiss' "Cold Gin" to UK's "In The Dead Of Night". BTW, we named the band after that musician Muppet: LOBBUCK LOU :D .

Thank you for reading.

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    One thing I noticed about signature songs, is that is excatly what they are, and no matter how boring you think it may be for them to hear it at every gig, they always seem to ask for it anyway. I'd say save it for an enchore :).

Ray

3. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    This man speaks nothing but the truth!!

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Make sure to post with how the gig goes too! I'm curious to the outcome :D. Good luck! Rock ooooon

Ray

5. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Of course I will! Thank you for your good wishes! :)

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Looking at that set list tells me one thing: You can play your arse off! Let us know how it goes.

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

THE GIG.

Well, weather didn't help. We had the drum raiser in an open place and we had to move everything because of the rain. Due to that, we started one hour later than planned. Many people, but not as much as I expected. Aside from that, it was AWESOME! OK, maybe I'm so biased here because these concerts are like an orgasm to me, but anyway, I enjoyed it a lot. Musically, nothing perfect, of course, but only three mistakes made me feel really upset: 1. In the middle of "Roundabout", when the thing calms down for "In and around the lake", the singer's mind BLOCKED! He didn't enter! and didn't sing anything in that section! 2. In the middle of the long guitar-bass solo of "Cupid's Dead", the guitar player forgot like four measures. :mad: It really pissed me off, because I like that song so much and we worked on it for weeks trying to get the parts together and we did it. We never made a mistake on rehearsals after getting the song. 3. I also sing background vocals and I did the "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love" Michael Anthony part :rollno: and for the pre-outro section, the singer forgot his part and while I was like "Aint' Talkin' 'Bout Love!", he was singing "Hey, Hey, Hey!".

My solo: I know It was awesome for people who doesn't know about music. But bass players would criticize it a lot. Specially the slap parts. They were so sloppy. My wrist was supposed to bounce a lot and it didn't. I was so stiff, but I enjoyed it, anyway.

We recorded the gig in DVD format. When the guy who did it give me the video I'll try to put some highlights in my (limited) website if I can.

Thank you again for reading!