Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just watched a very touching program.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by odie, Sep 27, 2004.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

I just watched Chernobyl Heart on HBO. I believe it was the first showing. It was one of the most touching and gut wrenching documentaries I have ever seen. It is a program that discusses the after effects of the Chernobyl disaster and its long term effects on children in Russian and Belarus. In particular the effects on the organs of the children. It follows an Irish volunteer and some American(US) hospital workers and surgeons.

It was very educational and well put together. It also received an Oscar award for it. I highly suggest that everyone watch it.

more info here---->http://www.ccp-intl.org/

Chernobyl Heart Schedule
    on HBO:
    Fri, 24 Sept - 12:45 pm HBO2
    Sun, 26 Sept 2:40 am HBO2
    Mon, 27 Sept 10:45 pm HBO Signature
    Thurs, 30 Sept 5 pm HBO
    Sat, 9 Oct 10 am HBO2
    Wed, 16 Oct 2:45 pm HBO2

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Yeah... HBO did few of those back in the days I remember and they were pretty good... I studied that subject for past few years... truly depressing, and just thinking that I have friends who were affected by this. As well as idea that I was there shorter then a year before it happen... truly sucks ass

Something I have to say that also ticks me off and I HOPE HBO will show this at any given point at this show but I don’t hear much talk about Chernobyl people today. People who were affected by this today are being mistreated in Russia/Ukraine in a bad way... I always hope to do something to change that country(s) to the better but I look and study and I get more depressed every time I try to figure it out...

I believe Churchill said this: "to kill off entire intelligent population takes several years, to get 1 intelligent man back takes 100s of years..." (Something close) I am starting to believe that.

...Thanks for pointing it out... i wouldn't mind seeing the new one...

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

They do touch on it a bit. But it is mostly about the children and their suffering. They point out that Russia payed people money to stay in areas that were contaminated. But have withdrawn it now that they say these areas are just moderately contaminated. They showed the radiation counts thru the roof. I mean come on how can you expect radiation to lessen in less than 20 years were it should take 1000's.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'll look for it. Anyone have a link to the photo diary of the woman who rode her motorcycle through the area?

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I saw footage of those guys walking around and talking to people who live there... one family was just saying how great it is... they are 40 looking like 90 year olds... Other person just struck me this was a young women with kids who was a dr. and they asked her "come on... you are a dr... you relies that by you staying there your kids wont live past age of 12" and you could tell she NEVER thought of it. She left that same day with the crew, very weird thing to see.

Another huge problem is since lack of control some of products coming from Chernobyl is sold to people who don’t live there.

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I saw that last week...

I'm in favor of shutting down ALL nuclear plants. I don't care how safe they say they are, or how efficient they are... It is not worth the potential human suffering.

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

Lets keep it on topic............I just encourage everyone to watch this program.

8. what's prolusion?
    :smug:

9. IIRC it won an oscar for best documentary

10. No, but I did read through it.

Very touch(y)ing. And to think, 60% of Americans have no idea this happened.

11. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    good read:

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/default.htm

12. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    60% of americans have no idea that chernobyl happened????? I find that hard to believe. Maybe they don't appreciate what happened, but most people I know at least have heard of the disaster.

13. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    That's it! That's the one. Very disturbing. Some of the first firefighters on the scene died in the first 20 minutes of their shift. Very bad. They actually sent in the unmarried and oldest first, then sent reinforcements based on size of family. Not that it made much difference, I think they all died anyway. Some lasted several years, but what about the quality of life?

14. They dont teach anything about in public schools (IME at least) and everything I know about chernobyl (which isnt much) I've learned by watching documentaries and reading threads like these.

I'd call 60% almost an overestimate.

15. Well, I was just guessing.

And I am surround by 80% of high school morons, so my opinions towards others is biased at times.

16. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Just saw it... you were right Odie... very well done... made me drop a tear too.... sad stuff...

17. I saw it last night and cried like a little girl.

15-20% of children are born healthy there. That's... wow. The cost of surgery, the amount of kids who won't get surgery, the amount of kids that will and have died...

18. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Well, maybe my school was different because we had curriculum that covered it. I must get out more and meet these morons you guys speak of.

19. odie

odie Supporting Member

Yes the amount of children dying a slow unnecessary death is shocking and horrible. Many people dont know about this and it needs to be recognized.

20. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Spina-Bifida seems to be one of the bigger defects caused by the radiation....

My little sister has this defect. She appears to be perfectly normal, it just affected her uh... bathroom activities. She has an illeostomy (essentially, they take your intestine, pop it out the side of your stomach, and you crap into this little bag... and you have no control over it.) and she has to urinate via a catheter than is run through her belly button.

My little sister can do anything normal kids can, and her Spina Bifida has caused her 14 surgeries, plus she may be getting another next year. Its awful... I can't even imagine what its like with the kids with more severe cases.