1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Justin Chancellor tone with Darkglass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by acostaa, Nov 12, 2020.

1. acostaa

acostaa

Aug 3, 2019
    Hello all,

Hoping to get insight from you all on how to get the closest approximation of Justin Chancellor's tone using Darkglass pedals. I have a few of these pedals. I understand how complex his rig setup is, and I understand that studio processing really alters real-live signal coming from his rig. Given all of this, I would like to know what settings you guys use to arrive his tone. I am completely blown away, for instance, by his tone in the recent promotion video for Adam Jone's signature Gibson guitars and I'm trying to get in the ballpark with no real luck. (bass drops at 5:19). Thanks,

Spectrum likes this.
  2. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    Great question. With my current project, I use a Stingray, Darkglass Vintage Microtubes and Gallien-Kreuger amp and I get pretty close to his tone overall.

We actually have a "Tool Tone" thread that you are more than welcome to join.

Tool tone/FX sticky thread ver. 1

acostaa likes this.
  3. acostaa

acostaa

Aug 3, 2019
    Thanks for this LK. I did read through the thread, which is absolutely awesome. Just hoping to get some more specific and condensed suggestions relating to DG pedals with this thread.

4. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    Not a problem. Like I said I use a vintage microtubes. I run the gain and blend at about 1 o'clock and the era knob at about 8 o'clock.

acostaa and cataract like this.
  5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    This is with compression and a Darkglass B3K. I think it's pretty solid for that overdriven Chancellor tone.

expatmuso, Corto14 and acostaa like this.
  6. acostaa

acostaa

Aug 3, 2019
    Thanks, JC. That sounds awesome. Could you share your settings on the B3k?

J. Crawford likes this.
  7. You can hear it's a J bass, but that's not the B3K's fault. I think it sounds just as good in it's own right. If a Wal was going through that pedal, you'd be splitting hairs to judge it against JC's tone.

acostaa and J. Crawford like this.
  8. I use the little microtubes X. I feel like it can get pretty close to the rat + clean sound Justin uses. The high and low pass filters make it pretty versatile. Lot of people use the x series pedals for the Dug Pinnick type of sound but you can adjust the filters to get a sound more like JC. My bandmates make comments regularly about my tones sounding like JC. Especially when I’m using the x in combination with delay.

lizardking837 likes this.
  9. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    Nice, I've been thinking about upgrading and adding a preamp to my board.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  10. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Im away for a wedding, but this is from that night. Zoom in for settings!

20201112_204739.jpg

Im going to try it with my Musicman this week and see if I can get it a smidge closer.

acostaa and Jek Porkins like this.
  11. The active humbucker should help. Nothing wrong with a passive bass either though. Paul D’Amour always had my favorite Tool tone.

Jek Porkins likes this.
  12. madmaskbass

madmaskbass

Apr 29, 2008
    Australia
    Honestly man I use DG gear and love it lots but the addition of a rat really helps with this job. There is a super cheap pedal (like $30 delivered) the Black Rat by Mosky that when run at very very low drive/gain is such a critical part of the tone. There is something that a Rat does to the top end that is crucial. If you are keen on getting the JC tone nice and close maybe upgrading to another well known Rat clone or even a modded Rat is great for dialing it in but IMO a rat makes getting the tone so much easier. Stacking the Rat with the DG is very effective for the grindier songs aswell.

Jek Porkins and acostaa like this.
  13. acostaa

acostaa

Aug 3, 2019
    A quick note to thank everyone for their insight on this, as well as to share a clip of the tone at which I have arrived using the X7 using the settings on the attached picture. While not particularly close (without bi-amping), I did manage to find the best settings to get in the ballpark. I'm playing through an SVT with Mid-setting 4, Gain=7, B=3, M=8, T=8, Bright and Hi on. Any suggestions on how to get even closer using the X7 would be appreciated. Cheers.

Attached Files:

14. acostaa

acostaa

Aug 3, 2019
    Thanks for sharing, do you mind sharing your compression and B3K settings?

15. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Check the picture above!

acostaa likes this.
  16. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    The most faithful recreation of JC's Tool tone I've personally come across was an EBMM Sterling HH with both pickups on, running through a B7K.

17. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    The settings on your X7 look kinda wonky to be honest. You're cutting all the EQ frequencies except the treble. If it's like the Ultra, all those sliders are boost/cut. I would also start with the low and high levels around noon and go from there to balance the sound. At that point you might be able to take the high gain down some or use the small HPF knob to make sure it's only affecting the highest frequencies for that crispy clank zing JC gets. As for the sliders I'd probably cut a little low mids and then slowly boost the others til you hear what sounds good to you.

I can get JC tones with my jazz bass and X7 ultra pretty easily. Your strings also sound kind of dead in that sample. New stainless steel rounds will help with the sound a lot.

18. Jek Porkins

Jek Porkins

Jun 9, 2020
    Lacey WA
    I played in a Tool tribute band for a few years here in Washington State. I always used a G&L L2K and a modded rat. towards the end of that gig I replaced the rat with a B3K and it got very close. Tons of folks commented how good it sounded at almost every show!

Sascha Erni likes this.
  19. Jek Porkins

Jek Porkins

Jun 9, 2020
    Lacey WA
    I forgot to add that I run GK MB500 w Avatar b410. I recently added a Tech 21 Dug DpX3. The B3K sounds awesome to my brain running through that!

20. acostaa

acostaa

Aug 3, 2019
    Thanks for these suggestions. Yes, I did not set out looking to set the X7 with the settings in this way! After hours of adjusting the knobs and sliders, this is where I arrived. I did of course try more modest adjustments as you recommended, but I still wasn't getting any closer. My filters are set to 11:30 for low and 1'oc on the highs. My impression is that even at the detente, the EQ is not flat, as if it is still boosting some. Thanks again.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021