1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Justin Chancellor's tone

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Civi92, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Civi92

Civi92

Mar 12, 2014
    Canada
    Justin Chancellor is a shagging God among men when it comes to bass. Is there any way to achieve a somewhat similar tone on a Fender Rumble 100 (12" speaker) using a Jackson Concert Bass? My Rumble has a 4 band eq (Low, Low Mid, High Mid, High) and a gain knob but that's about it. I have been trying to get that tone forever and can't quite figure it out. I've read lot's of threads about how he boosts the hell out of his bass and scoops his mids but when I listen to Tool, the guy still cuts through the mix like butter! I am a fingerstyle player so I know that will change the tone too. Has anyone been able to get this tone and what eq settings did you use?

2. vbchaos

vbchaos

Sep 5, 2011
    Groningen, The Netherlands
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    As far as I know even his basic tone is full of effects. And I guess a major part of his sound comes from his WAL bass. But that's just gessing. Afaik there are some members here that have VERY detailed information about Justins tone.

3. Good reading here....all the info you will need. (apart for settings on your own gear. You will just need to adjust,adjust until you get the closest to your ears)
    Hope this helps
    http://www.talkbass.com/threads/tool-tone-fx-sticky-thread-ver-1.620296/

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
  4. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    On his recorded tone a ton of that is working with Joe Baressi and that whole production group. It's not by accident Tool and Chevelle records have just about the best recorded bass in modern rock. Also Adam plays with a lot more bass than you'd think which comes across live where JCs tone isn't as thick.
    Search for his GK 2001 settings. They're kind of surprising.

5. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I love these kinda of threads.

6. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    You mean the ones that have been covered a million times?

heatoise, SunnBass and hover like this.
  7. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, and the...you know, part where someone who has the absolutely 180 degree polar opposite as is even possible of someone famous's gear yet wants to cop the same tone, yet can't figure out how / why they cannot, & then asks people from untold miles away why that possibly is when there are untold other variables beyond the gear we cannot possibly assess?

SunnBass likes this.
  8. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    People say tone and sound is in the fingers. Bullsh!t! The sound is in the guitar! - Adam Jones lol

heatoise and KingKrabb like this.
  9. KingKrabb

KingKrabb

May 9, 2014
    Puerto Rico
    Previous posts are right, it's all in the Wal.

Also, you know, the 700 pedals and compressors he uses. There's a pretty detailed video of his rig on YouTube somewhere, it's posted by Dunlop. (Sorry if someone already did post this, I'm at work and can't see videos).

I know he uses one 8x10 cab for his clean tones and a 4x12 for the dirt.

Plucky The Bassist likes this.
  10. KingKrabb

KingKrabb

May 9, 2014
    Puerto Rico
    For what it's worth, I wouldn't blame a guy for trying to get as close as possible to his favorite player's tone. I'm a sucker for Sean Malone's, for example, yet I don't have a fretless bass. That severily hinders my progres. Haha.

I HAVE gotten close, and I do have a Fender Rumble / Yamaha bass (You know, polar opposites from his equipment).

With Justin, I'd recomment really digging in and listening to how is tone works. You're on the right track with the settings, however keep in mind that he's always got something behind it. It's not Bass > Amp.

Let's see, if memory serves he's got the MXR Envelope Filter, the Whammy, i think I saw a Tech21 in there somewhere as well.

My choice would be to get as close as you can with what you have, and then work on making that tone your own.

12. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yup, to mirror the other comments the Wal has a LOT to do with his signature tone. Listen to Suck My Kiss by RHCP and you will hear some similarities even though Flea plays with fingers and Justin plays with a pick. The common denominator? They both use(d) Wal basses. Hella expensive, you can get in the ballpark, but honestly nothing is going to sound like a Wal but a Wal.

13. Very true

Janforth likes this.
  14. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    No.

jimfist and gregmon79 like this.
  15. Janforth

Janforth Father of Chritobin Madden Challenge 19 Champion Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    TMB! AKA The headless Wal Bassist Extraodinaire! Very cool.

Toolmybass likes this.
  16. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I hate to break to you OP, but without a Wal, a GK head, Mesa cabs and a few pedals, you wont get even close with what you have, sorry. You may be able to get in the realm with a pedal or two, maybe. JC's tone is JC's tone, its pretty hard to cop without his gear. Trust me, Ive tried for a while now and gave up. Its pretty difficult or next to impossible without some key components.

SunnBass likes this.
  17. Ibycan

Ibycan

May 24, 2014
    Alabama
    Get some stainless steel strings too. That got me a bit close to the Schism tone.

18. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    JC doesn't use stainless

19. Ibycan

Ibycan

May 24, 2014
    Alabama