Justin Guitar course (but for bass)?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by UrBassBelong2Us, Feb 10, 2020.

1. UrBassBelong2Us

UrBassBelong2Us

Feb 10, 2020
    Hi.

First up, slight bit of background. Played bass to pass a college module just over 20 years ago (passed Grade 1 - UK, yeah, so basically no level at all). Here I am much much later (having not played since) and I've dug the old Yamaha BBG4 out of the attic back at the parent's place.

Exactly the same one as this:
    https://images.equipboard.com/uploads/item/image/66570/yamaha-bbg4-xl.jpg?v=1526598820

So I want to pick it up again with the intention of playing a gig this year (at whatever level - like even a few cover songs to an empty pub or whatever).

Can anyone recommend a course kind of like that Justin Guitar video course that's all over Youtube and his own website? But obviously for bass. I was talking to a 'friend' and he said he's been doing that for 2 years and found it pretty good (and I think it's free too). He seems to play guitar alright from what I've seen.

And please, as I know it's coming, lol. I don't want anyone to tell me that 'you can't beat face to face lessons'. I'm aware.

Thanks.

2. UrBassBelong2Us

UrBassBelong2Us

Feb 10, 2020
    Is that what you use?

That guys got a British accent but the course defaults to pay in $US dollars.

Also, what's with that glove he's wearing? Is that a new 'bass thing'?

3. Mark White

Mark White

Sep 10, 2019
    He is British, and either the payment screen will default to the USD as (possibly) the most oft-used currency in online transactions to an English-speaking audience, or may pick up your likely local currency from geolocation.

He has focal distonia: if he's not touching something, his hands shake. The gloves 'fool' his nerves into thinking they are touching something. He explains it in one of his videos. Gloves are not a new bass thing in this respect.

4. saeroner

saeroner

May 30, 2013
    SBL is arguably the best site out there. Find another site (for any instrument) that has more content. I'll wait. Luckily it's for BASS! I've been a member since 2014 when it was just starting out. It's grown so much. He puts the $$$ back into the site. It might seem overwhelming at 1st though.

5. UrBassBelong2Us

UrBassBelong2Us

Feb 10, 2020
    In my defence I didn't think long and hard about it, but as I saw one of his videos on Youtube where he was reviewing basses in a music shop I did initially think the glove was something to do with not 'dirtying' the shops goods. :blackeye:

6. UrBassBelong2Us

UrBassBelong2Us

Feb 10, 2020
    Do you know if you can download the videos? As one of the potential places I could practice with an amp is in some industrial estate without internet connection. So ideally I'd need to have stuff offline on my laptop to be able to use them.

7. dc-upright

dc-upright

Mar 31, 2013
    I just discovered Jim Stinnett,s Real Bass Lessons on YouTube this week, the amount of quality content is mind blowing and it is free.

Real Bass Lessons

8. Tottery

Tottery

Aug 17, 2015
    I would suggest SBL as well. Besides, if your instrument of choice is bass, you should learn how to play bass not guitar. I don't mean that in a snarky way either.

9. Mark White

Mark White

Sep 10, 2019
    Nothing to be defensive about mate. You asked a fair question. It's not an easy guess that it's focal distonia :)

10. UrBassBelong2Us

UrBassBelong2Us

Feb 10, 2020
    It certainly seems to be a strange one. I notice that he only wears a glove on the fretting hand and that on one of his videos at least - that one finger is exposed (on the fretting hand - finger-less glove style).

Anyway, I am so poor at bass. I tried to pick up my old one and my finger strength seems to have gone - lots of buzzing of the notes when I tried to play something that I used to know. I should stress that i also played without an amp so it was really noticeable.

I really need to make a decision on a course and start from scratch I think.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022