1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

K&K Bass Master Pro HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bassopotumus, Mar 17, 2004.

1. bassopotumus

bassopotumus

Mar 17, 2004
    I just got my Bass Master Pro pickup, and I installed it (correctly I may add) to my King Bass Slap King. I plug into my Bose L1 Radiator speaker (which is amazing by the way!), and I am not getting the sound I want. I'm getting a very "cold" sound you may say, as opposed to a "warm" sound. I am also experiencing some sort of buzzing sound, that is not coming from the fingerboard, but it almost sounds like distortion. I have set all the levels on everything so that they don't distort. All in all, I am not getting the sound I want. I play in a Jazz trio - bass,drums,piano - where I need to have a good sound, and I need to be heard. What do you think the problem is? My bass, my pickup system, or my Bose, and how do I solve it? Thanks to anyone who replies!

-Bassopotumus

2. Could be you need a preamp. Sometimes a high-impedance pickup isn't a good match for an amplifier the unless there is a buffer like a preamp in between. Without it, the sound can be, as you note, dry and sterile. This was the case with my Underwood pickup into my GK, and a K&K PowerPack preamp made the sound much warmer

Go to www.urbbob.com for a much better explanation that I can provide.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    The K&K unit requires a preamp. I've got one, and it sounds fantastic with the K&K unit, the Fishman bass blender (which is what I currently use), and the Raven Labs gear.

4. bassopotumus

bassopotumus

Mar 17, 2004
    I have a Presonus tube preamplifier (probably not intended for DB)......do you think this would work in my setup? :confused: (instead of a Fishman, etc.).....Any replies welcome..

-Bassopotumus

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    If you have the Bass Master Pro or Rockabilly pickups, they are designed to interface with the two channel preamp that is designed for them.

A single channel preamp will only handle one of the transducer sets.

Contact me off-board if you wish, or check out www.urbbob.com/bmaster.html or www.urbbob.com/slapspec.html for product details.

6. bassopotumus

bassopotumus

Mar 17, 2004
    I have the K and K Bass Master Pro with the preamp (that it came with). Do players usually have problems with these? I really don't get it. I am getting a distorted sound when I play and I have adjusted the gain controls, and everything, but it is just not working out! :crying: This is supposed to be a very good system, and I spent alot of time saving up for it. I really can't believe this... :bawl: :help: please!

7. I used to have one (still got it and it's for sale if anyone's interested…), but stopped using it when I bought a Raven Labs PMB.

Check the 9V battery on your pre-amp…

- Wil

8. bassopotumus

bassopotumus

Mar 17, 2004
    So you're saying you didn't like it either?

9. The tone controls in the K & K blender are a pain to tweak as they are on the inside. The K & K blender is much cheaper than the Raven Labs PMB, and it shows - "you gets wot you pays for…", it works OK, but it's in a totally different class to that of the PMB. I was pleased with the K & K when I first started using it (3 years ago), but now I use only the Fishman Full Circle, which I think has been around for well over a year - I've had mine for about 9 months, and I think it beats the K & K hands down.

- Wil

10. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Have you asked for support from your dealer?? I don't get many questions about the BMP's I sell, but do take care of any inquiries I get. It's a great system and shouldn't be giving you any problems if properly adjusted.

11. bassopotumus

bassopotumus

Mar 17, 2004
    I have, and they said that I could send it out, and they will check it over, and see if the electronics are disfunctional. They will probably just send me another one.