Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

K&K Bass Master Pro HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bassopotumus, Mar 17, 2004.

1. bassopotumus

bassopotumus

Mar 17, 2004
    I just got my Bass Master Pro pickup, and I installed it (correctly I may add) to my King Bass Slap King. I plug into my Bose L1 Radiator speaker (which is amazing by the way!), and I am not getting the sound I want. I'm getting a very "cold" sound you may say, as opposed to a "warm" sound. I am also experiencing some sort of buzzing sound, that is not coming from the fingerboard, but it almost sounds like distortion. I have set all the levels on everything so that they don't distort. All in all, I am not getting the sound I want. I play in a Jazz trio - bass,drums,piano - where I need to have a good sound, and I need to be heard. What do you think the problem is? My bass, my pickup system, or my Bose, and how do I solve it? Thanks to anyone who replies!

-Bassopotumus

2. Could be you need a preamp. Sometimes a high-impedance pickup isn't a good match for an amplifier the unless there is a buffer like a preamp in between. Without it, the sound can be, as you note, dry and sterile. This was the case with my Underwood pickup into my GK, and a K&K PowerPack preamp made the sound much warmer

Go to www.urbbob.com for a much better explanation that I can provide.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    The K&K unit requires a preamp. I've got one, and it sounds fantastic with the K&K unit, the Fishman bass blender (which is what I currently use), and the Raven Labs gear.

4. bassopotumus

bassopotumus

Mar 17, 2004
    I have a Presonus tube preamplifier (probably not intended for DB)......do you think this would work in my setup? :confused: (instead of a Fishman, etc.).....Any replies welcome..

-Bassopotumus

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    If you have the Bass Master Pro or Rockabilly pickups, they are designed to interface with the two channel preamp that is designed for them.

A single channel preamp will only handle one of the transducer sets.

Contact me off-board if you wish, or check out www.urbbob.com/bmaster.html or www.urbbob.com/slapspec.html for product details.

6. bassopotumus

bassopotumus

Mar 17, 2004
    I have the K and K Bass Master Pro with the preamp (that it came with). Do players usually have problems with these? I really don't get it. I am getting a distorted sound when I play and I have adjusted the gain controls, and everything, but it is just not working out! :crying: This is supposed to be a very good system, and I spent alot of time saving up for it. I really can't believe this... :bawl: :help: please!

7. I used to have one (still got it and it's for sale if anyone's interested…), but stopped using it when I bought a Raven Labs PMB.

Check the 9V battery on your pre-amp…

- Wil

8. bassopotumus

bassopotumus

Mar 17, 2004
    So you're saying you didn't like it either?

9. The tone controls in the K & K blender are a pain to tweak as they are on the inside. The K & K blender is much cheaper than the Raven Labs PMB, and it shows - "you gets wot you pays for…", it works OK, but it's in a totally different class to that of the PMB. I was pleased with the K & K when I first started using it (3 years ago), but now I use only the Fishman Full Circle, which I think has been around for well over a year - I've had mine for about 9 months, and I think it beats the K & K hands down.

- Wil

10. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Have you asked for support from your dealer?? I don't get many questions about the BMP's I sell, but do take care of any inquiries I get. It's a great system and shouldn't be giving you any problems if properly adjusted.

11. bassopotumus

bassopotumus

Mar 17, 2004
    I have, and they said that I could send it out, and they will check it over, and see if the electronics are disfunctional. They will probably just send me another one.