K&K Bass Max with 500kOhm input

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Michal Herman, May 30, 2016.

1. Michal Herman

Michal Herman

May 31, 2013
    I have K&K Bass Max pickup installed on my bass.
    I will play on street with other musicians. We have battery powered PA system. On one of channels it has jack input marked as "high impedance input". Manual states, that it has 500kOhm impedance.
    Will it be sufficient for piezo to operate or should I get some preamp with higher input impedance to match piezo?

2. I think it might work volumewise, but the sound might not be the best.
    For music on the street with a lot of noise around it might not matter. Using a preamp is always a good idea, but the Polytone Mini-Brutes have 330 KOhms input impedance and were commonly used with an Underwood some decades ago.

3. Michal Herman

Michal Herman

May 31, 2013
    @DoubleMIDI
    Thank you for input. For street playing apperiance and repertoire is much more important than sound quality. So if it has volume I should be ok

4. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    Playing in the open, or even most times in a marquee, provides a kinder environment than having to overcome room acoustics. So whenever I play outside I plug a pickup straight into the amp/combo without any outboard preamp in the chain. You should be fine.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Expect it to be very nasal (upper mids) with such a low impedance, volume should be no problem.

Michal Herman likes this.
  6. I don't think you'll notice any difference with a BassMax unless you go down to 100K. (not tested, just a guess)
    This one is quite forgiving.
    The basic Azola BugBass came with a BassMax connected directly to a pot and it was lower than 500K if I remember well.
    At least no more than 500K.

cdavisshannon and Michal Herman like this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021