1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

K&K Rockabilly "hum"

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by TallPaul, Feb 23, 2013.

1. TallPaul

TallPaul

Jul 9, 2007
    I have a K&K rockabilly pickup on my bass. When the fretboard pickup is turned up I get a sustained hum after I hit a note (sort of a vibrating sound like the note is being artificially held out). I have to have the fretboard pickup turned down to almost nothing to prevent it. Has anybody else had this problem?

Thanks!

2. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Yep - either your fingerboard is resonating (not sure if you meant it happens from a pizz'd more, or slapped) OR you could be having an issue with the wire lead from the pickup itself. I find that its a very 'hard' (or not as pliable as the coating on the wing pickup) plastic they use, and mine used to resonate so bad it actually used to feedback itself! It sound like this might be what's happening to yours.
    The solution is easy - a couple of small pieces of foam strategically placed under the fingerboard, and then you tape the wire to the foam bits. Two is all you need really - plus the one for running the lead through the bridge heart. Don't stick the first piece too close to the pickup element, I did that once and it tends to lift the pickup away from the fingerboard I'd the foam is thick enough.