Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kahler Tremolo Routing

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jsp5107, Mar 24, 2004.

1. jsp5107

jsp5107 Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Is it true that installing a kahler bass tremolo doesnt require you to route wood for a spring cavity? If so, whats the advantages/disadvantages to this over tremolos with spring cavities?

2. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    There is a major hole required directly under the bridge for the springs. But it is not nearly as big as the Hipshot(Strat style) spring route.

3. jsp5107

Mar 20, 2004
    will the strat style spring routing allow for better bending range? I would imagine kahler wouldnt have much range because the springs are so small.

4. Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim

Jul 8, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    The wood removal was much less than the hipshot unit looks to be, it did not go all the way throught the body. I could go all the way down to slack strings on the fret board, past what my amp could reproduce. I was only able to go up a few steps before I started to pop strings. bass strings don't stretch up very well in my experience. Tim

5. jsp5107

Mar 20, 2004
    Tim, do you have a hipshot or a kahler? If you have a hipshot, how well do they stay in tune? Im interested in purchasing one for a bass Im making with my dad.

6. Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim

Jul 8, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    I had a kahler trem that I added to a bass Back in the 80's, didn't have tuning problems as I remember. I think the hipshot trem looks good. I just don't think a trem is as useful for a bass as a guitar, ymmv Tim

7. Tiny Tim,
    I've been thinking about a tremelo/whammy for solo playing where I might even bend one note at a time rather than whole chords...at least all the time...

Which do you feel would be more useful for that kind of playing- an electronic pitch changing effect or a whammy bar?

Thanks, Jim

8. Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim

Jul 8, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    Jim
    I haven't used any of the pitch shifting pedals so i can't help you much there, but I would be more apt to try, barrow, rent one before I would put a trem on a bass again. But you may find that it works for you better than it did for me. Tim

9. Thanks. I'm having a bass built this year and was considering one... Thanks for your response and feedback.

Jim

10. BoisterousClam

BoisterousClam

Sep 9, 2008
    Alabama
    I put a Kahler on my jazz bass and i love it. I have heard nothing good about the hipshots, I heard they are hard to adjust and lose tune easily. The Kahler is easy to set up and adjust to your right spacing and height. I would go for the kahler. [​IMG]