Kaleidoscope Heart...

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by Jerose, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    ...kicks ass! Great job Sara, Justin, and everyone else involved. I may have to get professional help with removing it from my CD player.

The Grandmaster Freak strikes again!

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Thank you!!!

I think it's really lovely, and I'm very proud. It's an earnest, well-conceived document of great songs, that was performed as an ensemble with a lot of dedication and heart.

JMJ

3. jefframm

jefframm Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2003
    Western SC
    Really enjoying Kaleidoscope Heart. We have tickets to her show in Atlanta on Oct 7. Hoping you'll be there!

jeff

4. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    No, I'm not in her band, I'm just her musical director. Daniel Rhine, her longtime touring bassist, will be doing a stellar job.

Best,
    JMJ

5. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    +1 for Kaleidoscope Heart. Nice songs, great bass lines. It sounds to me like you were really able to let it flow and give the lines some real character. That takes balls!

6. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Thank you mjchmara!!

And btw all: This album just went to #1. Quite proud of that, I do believe it's my first #1 record. Fun!

JMJ

7. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Bought the album a week and two days ago, and its still in my car's CD player. Can't get enough!

8. Being the MD were you responsible for selecting the players? I believe Matt Chamberlain played on this one.....and the combo of you two is just brilliant!

Well done sir!

As MD what goes into selecting players for the session?

9. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Thank you so very much!

MD typically doesn't refer to the recording process in my world. The players in that instance were chosen by Neal Avron and Sara B.

My MD work w/ Sara is for her shows. Band interaction, tightness, effective rendering of the sounds, feels, textures on the record, bv rehearsals,FOH approach, staging, etc. etc.

Best,
    JMJ

10. I love the new record. Congratulations on the #1! Its a good change from the first one, which was also great. How was it playing with Sara? She seems to have quite the heavy left hand.

11. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Thanks, FatherDH.

Ooowee! Getting around that left hand was a big challenge! I love it though. And I confess to having a good deal of experience with that via three Tori Amos albums and two Charlotte Martin albums as well. :) Tough stuff, but a worthy pursuit.

JMJ

12. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Sounded like most (if not all) of the record was with flatwounds. Do you find that they give you a better place in a mix that doesn't step on a piano's low range? Ever since I've moved to mostly flats, I've found that fitting my tone in with pianos is a little easier.

Of course, open-spaced and well-chosen basslines certainly help as well!

13. tieftonservices

tieftonservices

May 12, 2007
    Cologne, Germany
    Endorsing Artist: Moollon, Glockenklang, Dunlop/MXR, VoVox, Basswitch
    you sound fantastic on that record, justin! and what a tasty young man mr. chamberlain is.

14. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    Jerose: I would DEFINITELY concur that flats or half rounds fit better with the piano. The piano, with a heavy left hand, has just too much harmonic information sometimes to allow space for rounds, and vice versa. I used flats on about 60-70% of the record, probably. Then there's all the o/d's I did (keyboard-esque, guitar-esque noise/ambience) which are only rounds.

Tieftonservices: I agree on Matt...so good. Matt and Victor both completely SLAYED drum-wise.

We're having a record release party tonight to get the whole gang together, which will be a delight. Having a #1 is really quite a thrill.

JMJ

15. tieftonservices

tieftonservices

May 12, 2007
    Cologne, Germany
    Endorsing Artist: Moollon, Glockenklang, Dunlop/MXR, VoVox, Basswitch
    "let the rain" is fantastic! i even tried to teach my 6 year old (drumming) boy to clap to the 5/4, 6/4 chorus. love it. how the hell did you get the bass sound so deep? i know it's 19 inch-talk but the bass sounds unbelievable on that song.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    congratulations for the # 1! all i can say is you can still tell the pros from the idol contestants.

17. Do you have any tips for working with/producing a pianist with a heavy left hand? I am starting to do demo work for a guy, and his left hand drives me bonkers. I just want to tell him to "sit on it" and I'll take care of that range.

18. jmjbassplayer

Mar 25, 2005
    There's always a way. Just listen, listen, listen. You will find a path through that monstrous, rumbling cacophony.

There's no secret, except an almost religious devotion to listenership and very hands-on, trial and error problem solving with the bass.

You will also find that sometimes you will best enhance the music by being a complete slave to the pianist's left hand, whereas on other occasions, you may actually see an opportunity to beat that hand into (willing) submission by force of will on your part. Usually the former. :)

JMJ

19. Just got the album - sounds amazing!

20. scsm

scsm

Jul 26, 2009
    Manhattan, KS
    I grabbed the album a couple days ago and didn't realize you played on it until just now...I even watched the "Making of" videos on Youtube and didn't realize it was a hairless you.

I noticed in one of the videos you had a bass cheat sheet. Called Bass Fixer where you had measures and notes of fills to do. Does that mean you first record a "basic" bass track and then later go back and punch in ear candy?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021