Kaleidoscope Heart...

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by Jerose, Sep 7, 2010.

1. any memorable moment, song, lick, technique, gear stick out while making this? Can't stop listening to it (rather, my wife is totally addicted and fortunately I dig it too :D)

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Glad you like it!

Yes, what happened during this particular album (and for that matter, many albums I do) is that myself, Sara, the drummer and guitarist would come into the control room after we get a good take of the song, but then myself and the guitarist would nitpick and think of either things to fix, or things that we wanted to add that could be fun. I'd then hand that note over to the producer Neal Avron and the engineer, and they'd let me go in and do my thing on top of the basic that we just cut.

Best,
    JMJ

3. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    I think diving deep and getting into layering some of the background ambiences in "The Light", "Breathe Again", and "Hold My Heart" were very enjoyable for me. Actually, cutting those basics were quite profound...for all of us.

Sara is so interesting. For someone with such a great sense of humor, and one who is considered "pop", she is a remarkably deep artist, and her lyrics can really cut to the core. I admire the hell out of her. Anway, to divulge a bit more (since this is my forum and I can :)), this was a particularly intense time in my life, with the recent death of my mother and separation from my wife. So, a few times I'd find myself in tears after recordings of songs like those mentioned above. In fact, during long stretches of the songs, I would quite literally be unaware of what I was playing because I was so keyed into the lyrics.

The album has quite a range to it, emotionally. So obviously, there was an incredible amount of fun to be had throughout. And the musicians and I were given a lot of latitude to be ourselves and create what we wanted. Which I relish immensely. It doesn't always go that way.

Oh - and the song "Let The Rain" was very cool to record as well. Fun to hear the sound of the Wal bass poking out on that song and other places on the record. Interesting that the Wal, the Thunderbird, and the Eko were the most common go-to basses. I think I used my Guild JS-100 on one or two as well. Anyway, that's just a gear geek note.

Best,
    JMJ

4. Nice! Let The Rain is quickly becoming my fav tune. Her songs do get a tad emotional :D I still get chills when I hear Between the Lines from her first album.

I did an album once w/ an artist who had this song he wrote about his father who passed - mine had just passed a year or so before. I knew it would be hard - and man it WAS. I had suggested at one point we get those eyeglasses w/ the fake nose and mustache just so we wouldnt get to that "too serious" place! :D

(http://michaelnappi.com/songs the tune is Guardian Angel . . . )

I wouldn't think the TB would be a 1st grab on something like this (the Wal either - but I never played one so I'm just going off what I've read) I always admire stuff like that - not getting cought up in the gear for what it represents. like someone using a sm7b on vocals when there is a u47 sitting in the closet. (ie John Alagia)

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 20, 2021