Kamikaze Mustang PJ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by abarson, Oct 14, 2019.

1. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I was at a blues jam last night and one of the members offered for me to play his very new sonic blue Fender Mustang PJ bass (not Squier). I happily jumped on stage, slung the strap over my shoulder and had to immediately engage fu to prevent the headstock from hitting the floor. I've never experienced that much neck dive before! I quickly put it back in its stand and ran out to grab my Tobias. Didn't play a note on the 'stang.

Is this amount of neck dive typical in Mustangs?

2. Seems unusual, the examples I've played didn't neck dive. Maybe it was wearing one of these?

fathead.jpg

3. Maybe a slippery shirt / strap thing? Mine hangs fine.

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Mine dipped a bit so I added a slightly drilled out strap button on the far top neck plate screw. Using that strap button cured the dipping. The bass balances much better and there is less torsion on my left shoulder.

5. Lulu583

Lulu583

Dec 26, 2019
    I tried a Fender Mustang Bass at GC because I’m looking for a lighter/smaller bass after struggling with my 10# J Bass. I was surprised at the neck dive on the thing! The weight was great but the dive really bugged me after 2 minutes playing with it. Some people say their Mustang is perfectly balanced and others complain about the dive. Does anyone have experience testing out several different Mustangs at a store and noticing a big balance difference? Maybe I need to try out a bunch of Mustangs to find one that’s we’ll balance for me.

6. Lulu583

Lulu583

Dec 26, 2019
    Can you show a picture of that?

7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I don't have pix of mine but it's just like the back of an Epiphone EB0 except the strap button is on the treble side neck screw.

Here's a couple of pix of the back of an Epi EB0 I found on the 'net. I hope they help.

Capture_1505de95-9f4d-4af5-9f98-3c36f07f2518_2048x2048.jpg

epiphone-eb-0-sg-bass-guitar-cherry-p38276-67312_image.jpg

I now use the same method on all my bolt-on basses.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    Robot.G likes this.
  8. Lulu583

Lulu583

Dec 26, 2019
    Thanks! That helps!

9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I tried quite a few Mustang PJs and owned a couple before settling on my black LE version. I noticed a difference in comfort with neck profiles between the nut and first fret and also tone but not weight. They all weighed about the same and had a bit of neck dive on one of the wide leather straps the store had on display but no diving for the floor.

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    You're welcome. :thumbsup:

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021