Katalox or Koa? Heeelp...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by greg, Jan 18, 2005.

1. greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Hi everyone, im buying a custom Yancey 6 string and am trying to decide on the top. I am trying to decide between figured koa or figured katalox.....what experiences have all of you luthiers and bassists alike had with both the woods...i.e tonal properties.Thanks.
  2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Do you have a link to his site? I buy some of my parts from his fathers music store in Florida. I have heard his son makes basses but I haven't met him. Sorry I haven't worked with either of those woods.....t
  3. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    I guess that's dependent on 3 things...
    1. how much aesthetics mean to you
    2. the extent to which you believe that top woods make a difference in tone
    3. which one means more to you

If you believe in 2 to a large extent, then I guess you can say that Katalox will give you a brighter tone, whereas Koa would yield something a little more "richer", or midrange-ish.
  4. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I'm a sucker for flamed koa, if that's an option.
  5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Rusty makes a good point. If you do have a preference then that would help guide you.

What would I do? I'd need to see pictures, but I'd probably go with the katalox. Katalox is a bit more unusual and koa has such a tiny range that I tend to leave it alone if I can. I've seen some really nice katalox and I bet Greg has some of it. (I should ask him ;)) The katalox will take a nice high polish as well.
  6. greg

Jun 1, 2004
    yea he just told me he got some katalox on the other day and he could pair it with the sapwood. Oh by the way this is David Marvuglio's friend Greg from Austin.