1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Katalox

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jimbow, Dec 9, 2006.

1. How "hard" is katalox? Would it be suitable for an unlined, unfinished fretless board?

2. it's pretty hard. I would use it on an unlined, unfinished fretless.

3. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    All the katalox blanks I've seen had nice figuring so as Wilser said I would left it unlined but if you want some marks to show where you are at playing you can try something like this

[​IMG]

4. msherman

msherman

Nov 20, 2002
    Connecticut, USA
    Yes, it is fine for a F/B and is similar to ebony. I am building a bass with katalox for a TB member at the moment.

Check with Todd (tribal) as he has some.

5. try cocobolo

6. It will be unlined.

7. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    Well yeah ...almost

8. Well, no. It will be unlined. I'm not putting those mini-lines in like in the picture you posted. It will be unlined. :)

9. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    Oooh I got you. You were talking about your fretboard. I thought you were talking about the posted picture that's why I said almost referring to those little lines.

Definitely an unlined fretboard is the way to go with a figured wood as a FB.

10. Yeah. Those little lines are cool though if you want it to be lined. Personally, I don't think it's any harder to play an unlined.

11. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    katalox = swartzia = very hard

I'd do it.

12. Is the white sapwood any softer? Part of the board I'm looking at is sapwood, where the E string would be.

13. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    same density
    sap and heart.