Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kay Bass BUZZ....

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Pcocobass, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Guys,

Recently my Kay has developed quite a nasty little buzz on the g and d strings right around 4th-5th position. I don't mind it too much because I like the growl in general, but when I'm playing ballads and such around there it sounds pretty nasty!

Is there anything I can do about it? Or should I make a trip to my man Jeff Bollbach? Not that I mind - you the man, Jeff. But I was wondering if anyone had any ideas I could try...

2. STRONGBOW

STRONGBOW

Aug 26, 2005
    I defer to the many fine luthiers who serve this forum for technical suggestions, but the very first thing I would check is the alignment of the bridge. Sometimes bridges move to one side or the other because they get bumped, etc, while loading or carrying the bass, or even struggling to get the cover on and off. This can cause the strings to slide too close to the edge of the fingeboard and if the G and D slide too close to the edge, you'll get an irritating buzz on 'em starting right at about the fourth position and on upward. If the bridge is cut correctly, the strings should align evenly across the fingerboard, from tailpiece up through the nut. Check and see if the bridge is out of alignment. If so, loosen the strings and pull the bridge back to center alignment. Make sure it is is perfectly upright, and then re-tune it.