1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kay h10 open seams

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by charlie ford, Jan 2, 2013.

1. charlie ford

charlie ford

Dec 30, 2012
    Urbana, IL
    Seams are open and the edges are rough. I put some tape over them to keep from catching the rough spots on the bag

The app is crashing when i try to put in pictures so I'm going to try to do so with a response.

The wood isn't loose. I just want to make site i don't hurt it any more before i can get it fixed. What should i do?

2. charlie ford

charlie ford

Dec 30, 2012
    Urbana, IL
  3. Get some granulated hide glue. Mix one tablespoon glue granules with an slightly greater amount of cool tap water, by weight. Park the glue container (I use a glass baby food jar) in the fridge overnight to allow the granules to absorb the water.

Find clamps that are wider than the ribs of your bass.

When the water has been absorbed, make a simple double boiler to heat the glue to 140 degrees Fahrenheit. I sit my glue jar in a pan of water and measure the temperature of the glue (not the water) with a probe thermometer. Mix well as it heats through.

When the glue is heated, pull the open seam open slightly and use a basting brush to spread the glue into the open seam. Clamp immediately before it cools and sets, which will take 60 to 90 seconds depending on room temperature. Don't worry about being neat, you can peel and pick the excess glue off later. Let it rest for 24 hours.

As for the broken edges, you can buy thin sheets of suitable wood from a craft store. Cut new wood to fit where needed and glue into place with hot hide glue.

4. charlie ford

charlie ford

Dec 30, 2012
    Urbana, IL
    Thanks for the help! So what's the chance I make things worse?

5. Using hide glue? Minimal. The beauty of the stuff is, if you hit it with a little steam it comes undone.

If you have trouble laying into a supply of glue or don't want to spend $5 on a pound of it, let me know and I'll lay some on you the next time I have to ship something.

6. charlie ford

charlie ford

Dec 30, 2012
    Urbana, IL
    I'm sure I can find some. I'll have a project for the weekend (how long does it need to set?)

The top and back line up with the sides at different spots,like theres an edge that extends (like on other basses) on some parts and on other areas, there is none. Should I try to fix this?

Thanks so much!

7. You should let the glue set for at least 24 hours in a cool and relatively dry environment. I forgot to mention earlier that you should not clamp the plates down hard enough to squeeze the glue out of the joint.

Sounds like the edges have been worn down to the outer linings. If the top or back ever have to come off, these areas will be difficult to seperate from the ribs. I don't know if there are any other ill effects other than appearance.

8. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Kungfu summed it up pretty good; just make sure to take the string tension off the bass before you glue things up.

j.

9. VegasGutPlucker

VegasGutPlucker

Oct 14, 2008
    Chicago
    why is that? same true for carved basses? I have a C bout that needed a small bit closed and I did it under string tension...

Attached Files:

10. I've done that too, but I don't like introducing more tension into the corpus than I have to.

11. VegasGutPlucker

VegasGutPlucker

Oct 14, 2008
    Chicago
    She tighter now, not sure if the seam is the issue, or the new shim under the nut, or what's going on. Anything to be said for redoing the glue job without tension?

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021