Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

KC/Richard Finch appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I've been grooving to some KC and The Sunshine Band lately. These guys, in my opinion, do not get enough credit. They have got some pretty cool tunes and I think they were incredibly influential. I've really been digging some of the bass lines - often simple yet effective and dripping with booty shaking disco funk. The bassist was Richard Finch and he was co-founder with W.H. Casey. I'm curious about what genre most folks would lump the Sunshine Band into? I've always thought most would say disco, but after listening to the greatest hits album a lot lately, I really think of it as strait up funk music. Stylistically they remind me a lot of Bootsy's "The One Giveth, The Count Taketh Away" album. I suppose there was a fine line between disco and funk. I love the bass and the horns in both, that's for sure. Anybody else a fan of Richard Finch and/ or W.H. Casey?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I put 'em in the Disco/Dance/Top-40/R&B genre...of course, I'm really only familiar with the 5-6 hits which were played ad nauseum back in the '70s. IIRC, there wasn't a whole lotta variation in Finch's lines/grooves...unlike Bootsy.
    I still have the 1st album on LP(somewhere).
    "Get Down Tonight" is still played at our hockey games; I can still dig that one.

Finch mostly played a white Jazz, right?