1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Keeley Bassist vs GC2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kat888, Feb 22, 2016.

1. kat888

kat888 Guest

Oct 13, 2015
    Calling @bongomania!

You say here (Keeley GC-2 Limiting Amplifier)

The only difference between the GC-2 and the Bassist is one capacitor that causes the GC-2 to react less to peaks in the lows. This means the Bassist will be a more effective hard limiter, while the GC-2 will be a bit less restrained sounding. Apart from that they have the same tone, frequency range, and effect.

When you say 'less restrained sounding' do you mean the GC sounds thicker/fatter?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Ah no, I mean the low end of the GC might sound stronger, which can sound deeper. Maybe fatter, IF stronger low end sounds "fat" to you.

3. jking85

jking85

Mar 7, 2016
    I play a 6 string Ibanez BTB that I installed a Michalik (Spector Tonepump) preamp in. The output is super hot but it loses articulation and punch to dial back the preamp gain trim pot. So the quest is for a compressor to tame the output a bit without sounding artificial or losing the massive lows the preamp supplies. Based on the statements above, would the GC-2 allow me to better balance the output of a 6 string without overcompressing the lows?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Instead I would recommend you try a multi band compressor, or one with an EQ or filter in a sidechain. Top rec would be an FEA OptiFET or DBCL, but they are hard to acquire. Second choice maybe an Empress plus an EQ pedal for its sidechain.

5. jking85

jking85

Mar 7, 2016
    Is there anything in the $200 or less range you could recommend? The price isn't much higher on the FEA but they are all currently out of stock.