1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Keep it simple???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slap5string, May 29, 2012.

1. I'm curious as to how many TB'ers run just a head and cab(s)? I ask this because I typically run a Sansamp RPM and a DBX 160a in front of my amp. I know some guys prefer pedals also. I cant seem to stop tinkering and knob twidling and just wondering how many prefer to "keep it simple"?

2. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I run a tube head and cabinets. I don't need all that other junk.

3. I go into a Carvin B2000 with a line 6 bass pod (Rackmount) on the effects loop to my cab. Soon to get a VT bass deluxe as well. I would like a lot of the fancy effects and junk, but it seems too much for me......and too expensive.

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Depends on what I'm doing, but there are plenty of times that I plug straight into my amp and keep it simple

Other (most) times I've got my pedalboard on the ground to add different flavors here and there in small quantity.

5. iabssplyr

iabssplyr

Aug 5, 2009
    Clinton, IA
    Hey Slap. I'm one those who'd like to run pedals, but is never satisfied with what comes out the speaker once the chain lengthens. So for me it's bass onto my amp and I use my guitar's tone control to maintain treble. Simple, but effective.

6. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I run a Markbass Little Mark III head and either one or two Markbass Traveler 151P cabs. If not that, I use my Markbass CMD 121H combo or Fender Bassman 150 combo. No pedals or anything else (although I have contemplated an eq pedal). And my basses are passive. Can't get any simpler.

7. Tube head and cab.

8. Do I detect a trend here in these responses? It seems "tube amp guys" are more inclined to keep it simple and SS guys are more apt to add "flavoring"?

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Solid state or hybrid micro amp into neo cabs. Unless you need certain effects for your genre, there's really no point in running another layer of EQ and outboard compression. Who are you doing it for? Your audience? They have no clue and aren't paying an iota of attention to your tone. This assumes that your amp has adequate EQ on board and you know how to keep a consistent level when you play.

Almost all of my basses have active EQ on board, so I set the amp's EQ somewhere in the middle of my tone goal, then control the tone from the bass, either with EQ or playing technique. Of course, I'm old, and I just can't get into hauling all that gear only to have some arcane, complicated setup. I've gotten to where "my sound" can be achieved with any number of combinations of amps and cabs.

10. I added the sansamp to my 700rbII to gain some control over my mids and the compressor to tame the spikes and transients inherant with slap style in the metal genre. Now Im playing more classic and current rock and wonder if its time to simplify as Im really not happy with my tone right now.

11. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    Bass straight to rack (bbe pre, carvin power) to cab(s). Nothing else.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Amp and speakers guy here. Not that one's any better than the other, just have always been like that. Although, I do find myself liking more dirty tones, I can get them with a GK boost, or a tube amp and some speaker flavor. You can also get a huge variety of sounds in how you work your right hand. I don't slap much, I can see where guys would like a little different eq'ing and/or some compression for that. I've known guys who can get that sound without adjusting a single thing, it's all in their slap technique......I'm not one of them.:D

13. tapehead ted

tapehead ted

May 29, 2012
    I keep it as simple as possible- the bass has no knobs, only a pickup and a pickup selector switch. I found the volume and tone controls were making things mushy, especially on the low E string.

The preamp has one knob, for gain, and the 440 watt tube monoblock amp has no knobs at all.

It sounds fabulous with the bass plugged right into the power amp (!) but better with the preamp. So maybe it's not *quite* as simple as possible.

Every dang component in between pickup and speaker has an effect on the sound, and very few will pass the lowest frequencies on a 4 string bass without some degree of mush. Even a single resistor in the line has a major effect on the focus and clarity of deep bass.

14. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I use(d) tubes, hybrid, and SS. I like to add flavor on all of them. I'm talking one section of a song here and there, nothing major.

15. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Never used a pedal or effects on bass. If the head I’m using has some features like tuner or comp, I’ll likely use them, otherwise nothing and a clip-on tuner.

New Band and PA I’m putting together, all DI, so I won’t even be using a head or cab.

16. ubermiguel

ubermiguel

Mar 18, 2012
    Edmonton, AB
    I keep it simple on bass.

Music Man Sting Ray into a Mark Bass Club Series head into a GK 2x10 cab (the cab I'm not happy with...that's another story).

My tonal variety comes from my right hand. I'll use fingers, thumb, pick, slap, pop, pull or do what ever else suits the song.

Oh, but the 3-band EQ on the MM is amazing for tone shaping. Better than any amp or pedal EQ I've used.

17. Alrod

Alrod

Apr 7, 2012
    I run a MarkBass LM III into an Ampeg 410HLF and have no desire for pedals. There is something sexy about flesh hitting strings and then that sound coming out of speakers raw. Kind of like a condom vs no condom. I don't believe in safe bass playing. I want to feel it. Fortunately in this case you can't catch anything bad.

18. ubermiguel

ubermiguel

Mar 18, 2012
    Edmonton, AB
    That's commitment to simplicity. Much respect for that set up.

19. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Had I not had a drink (or four) I probably wouldn’t type this, and as I type it I know I’m probably wrong, but I just can’t help it...

When I see bassists with pedal boards full of effects, I just see a frustrated gui****s.

No offense to anyone intended.

20. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +1. I play both. With guitar I use every effect in the book. With bass my fingers are my effects.