1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Keeping your pants on???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dano59, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Dano59

Dano59 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Charleston Illinois
    I know this may sound crazy but I have just strated playing and I am a big guy and wear my pants over my gut but have always tucked in my shirts and snugged up that belt for security but now I am worried about scratching the back of the bass with my buckle.
    Do most of you just wear you shirts out or just not wear a belt or just not worry about a little buckle rash?

I do have the bass up almost on my chest, I feel I can reach everything better but just wondering if I am the only one worried about this.
    I know I should loose weight so my hips would hold up my pants right..................

Thanks

2. I adjust my belt so the buckle is more towards my left hip. However I say just stop wearing pants, it worked for RHCP.

3. Try smaller waist pants, they might be a tight fit, but they'll stay up, try a size or two down from the usual.

4. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    spandex :)

5. Dano59

Dano59 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Charleston Illinois
    You don't want this 400 pound man in spandex:eek:

6. Dano59

Dano59 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Charleston Illinois
    Now that is what I am talking about, so basic but my brain wouldn't go there for some reason.:D

7. yup....wait.... you mean moving the buckle? or no pants?.......... no pants....right? :D

8. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I may not, but there IS someebody out there who does :D

9. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Depending on the gig, there are different things you can do. If it's a real casual deal like jeans & a tee shirt, the shirt will be over your belt. Or you can wear shirts made to hang outside of the pants.

If you're wearing jeans, but with a sport shirt that you prefer to tuck in, you can always fold one of those red or blue bandana-style handkerchiefs so that half is behind the pants/belt buckle and the other half hangs out over the belt buckle while you're playing. That protects the bass just fine, but isn't really an option if you're dressed up.

10. Suspenders.

Seriously, I use them now for my Awesome Trousers, I also use them for my leather trousers.

In the past I used to wear the buckle over the left hip (as mentioned before), but I got the idea from seeing Peter Tork do it in old Monkees episodes...

11. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
  12. Dano59

Dano59 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Charleston Illinois
  13. Wear suit pants, a wife beater, and SUSPENDERS! Seriously though you could rock suspenders.

14. boomthump

boomthump

Feb 19, 2009
    A piece of rope with a knot for a belt,like Jethro!...LOL!

15. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    Could go grab a cummerbund (think that's how they spell it....) and slap that on. You know, the thing a lot of community bands wear...... goes around your waist, part of a tuxedo thing. Covers your belt..... comes in a bunch of colors. Might look a bit funny, but when y ou have your bass on no one probably sees it anyway :)

16. Just deal with the buckle rash... It gives the instrument character.

17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I tuck a cloth the color of my pants over the buckle. I've been doing this for years and no buckle rash on any guitars/basses of mine.

Yank it out between sets and continue to impress the ladies with your otherwise usual fashion sense. Just remember to tuck it back in for each following set.

Use just enough cloth to cover the area of concern. Or else, it'll look like an apron...that would be lame.

Try it, it works fine and your instruments will remain in good condition.

18. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    I just cinch my belt in so tight that it virtually disappears into the flab. No way the bass could touch the buckle, buried under all the protective blubber, unless I turned it flat and shoved real hard.

19. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
  20. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I too am a big guy (6',315 lbs) who wears his pants over his gut and generally plays with the bass up fairly high...not bowtie high like some of the jazz guys I've seen, but fairly high.

The way I reassure myself that I won't make any buckle marks on my bass when it strays into belt territory...is that I don't use buckles, ever.

Go to a law enforcement/EMS/Fire Department supply store or
    maybe a gun shop and ask for a velcro belt. They aren't too expensive and they work great. The ambulance service I rode with back in '97 made us change to velcro belts back then. I resisted...just long enough to get used to them and realize that they are a great idea for musicians.

Now it's the only belt I wear, so I can't forget and scratch up the back of an instrument.