Ken Smith owners, help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    For all of you who own Ken Smiths Basses, could you please help me out??
    I need to know what your core is..i.e Cocobolo, Ebony, Bubinga. etc and the tone you get from the lows, mids, etc, I like to know about the Lows and if they cut through, or are they BOOMY,
    I know I could look at Kens web site or talk to him, I have done the former. I did not want to trouble him with such questions without asking the people here first.
    I am under the impression that the darker woods produce darker tones, I could be wrong that is why I am seeking help.

My primary concern is for Gospel, but dont let that stop you from sharing

PICS WITH YOUR POST WOULD BE NICE! just for the GAS of it

2. I've had two KS's, a 6(walnut core/maple top) & a 5(maple core/imbuia top). They sounded similar, as have all the Smiths I've heard. In fact, that's why I replaced them w/a custom Stambaugh- versatility, or lack of it(my opinion). Don't get me wrong, KS basses are awesome in playability & construction. They also have a great tone- one great tone.

Oh, & there are pics at, I think in the used gear section.
  3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    My two have Mahogany cores, but I have had a Maple core as well. At the time, I didn't really like the Maple core as well, but it still had the typical Smith tone though. The fingerboard wood is going to make a big difference as well. I seem to prefer the Mac Ebony boards myself over the Morado.
  4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    ....A TON of Gospel bassists use Smiths, and alot of Gospel-turned R&B bassists use them as well. I personally have never owned one, but I would not worry about "cutting through", If there is one thing Ken's basses do, it's CUT. I've found Smith's to be very responsive to a player's touch. Several times I've seen them played and sound not too impressive(cost and brand considered), and then someone else gets on the same bass, through the same rig, and BAM!!!!, followed by the response, "is that what my bass is supposed to sound like?". IME, Smiths are very "well behaved" when played lightly, and can be down-right FILTHY when handled a bit more assertively...ADDED:I count this as a MAJOR PLUS!!
  5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I don't think you'll have a problem cutting thru with a Ken Smith bass... especially in gospel music. Just about every bass player I see in this region has a Ken Smith and usually an eden amp and cab. It's the primary reason I own one.

As bassteban mentioned, Smiths have a definite sound. Definitely a great sound... you will always know when you hear a Smith. Get one! The best feeling and playing bass I own. One of the best money can buy!
  6. Hajime

Jan 18, 2003
    I already tried to play more than 300 Smith Basses, neck-thru & bolt-on.
    I'm playing Smith for 5 or 6 years already and had approximately 200 or 300 gigs, but I never have any trouble with Smith sound. Everybody can listen my beautiful sound always, if I play at club, big hall or outside.
    I think all Smith Basses sound cut through. However I think graphite inlaid bars will help more, and Walnut core has stronger sound than Mahogany or Maple (I prefer Mahogany & Maple, but Walnut has great tone).
    Also 5pc. Neck or Body will provide brighter tone than 3pc. Neck & Body. I think Somebody feel this is the reason of cutting through, but not for everyone. But Core is just Core. Top & Back is more important for Sound character.
    I love Ebony most. As Ebony Top make best tone, even if you choose Tiger Maple, Mahogany or Walnut Core! And if you do Western Quilted Maple for Core, it will be similar to vintage bass of Alder.