Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Key Signatures with Double Sharps/Flats

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Ben_P, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Ben_P

Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    Example: if I was going to write an A# major scale key signature would I use the double sharp symbol in the key sig.?

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Don't confuse yourself unduly, enharmonic notes are there to discuss function, primarily. If you travel around the Circle of Fifths (which is where and how you build key signatures) you don't see A#. The key signature you're looking for is Bb major, which has two flats.

3. Ben_P

Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, I understand all that stuff. It's an assignment for school. I'm not writing out a chart in A# or anything like that.

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Since there can only be one of each "named" note in a major scale, you would use the double sharp

i.e. A#, B#, C##, D#, E#, F##, G##, A#

Mike

5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Well, you wouldn't write a piece in A#, but I guess it's conceivable that a piece might modulate to A# for a bit, requiring a key sig with double sharps.

Depends on how the modulation is prepared. I can't think offhand of an example of it, but I won't say "impossible." But a "Beach Boys modulation" (up a half step) would just be notated in Bb, as there's no preparation for that kind of modulation.

6. Actually, I think the correct notation for double-sharp is "×"

…so it would look something like

A# B# C× D# E# F× G× A#

- Wil

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Yeah and of course the sharps would come before the note