1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kick drum sensor based PA output option?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Stumbo, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Terri had this listed on her website and it might worth checking out as a replacement for miking the kick drum: PorchBoard - Terri's Bass-Aholic It's not marketed for that but it seems to it would be interest to adapt it for live sound. I checked out some of the videos on the Porchboard website and it sounds pretty good to me.

[​IMG]

2. James Judson

James Judson

Jul 16, 2009
    A lot of bands in my area are taking the bass drum sound away from the drummer. A sensor and drum machine make up the sound sent to the PA. This eliminates the mike/drum relationship, EQ issues and any idiosyncracys the drum has. Most synths/sound generators now days have great drum sounds. Why not all the drums??? Drum machines/synths do not have the dynamics of an acoustic kit (they get better each year). If your at a show that has really good kick sounds, your listening to a good sound man or a synth.

YMMV

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Which "sensor" are you using?

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    google "drum triggers".

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have an SX Stomp Box that works halfways decent.

sbx1.

6. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've not been much pleased with the electronic drums I've heard (and fiddled with). Hats and cymbals, yes.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    and we bass players get mad when the soundguy wants to bypass all our carefully thought-out amp gear and personal "tone" and take a DI right off the bass! now we want to do it to the drummer, too!

8. WaltsSound

WaltsSound

Jul 17, 2011
    Syracuse, NY
    That won't sound like a kick unless u use it to trigger a sample. As a sound man I recomend against it, if u play places that don't have a gate and compressor to insert on the kick channel then buy one, a DBX 266XL can do the job cheaply and u wont have to worry about bad kick sounds unless the engineer is completely incompetent...

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Wha???