Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Killer Deal!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slowburnaz, Feb 1, 2005.

1. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
  2. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Sharp looking bass! :p

3. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    I'm pretty sure that that model of bass was endorsed by the bassist for No Doubt.

They never really took off, but I thought I had played one at one time and it wasn't too bad at all.

If I recall correctly, it had a very funky tone-good slap and finger style capabilities.

Being from Canada, I'm not exactly sure of US pricing, but wouldn't these features cover the cost of the bass and then some?

2 Duncan Bass Line Quarter Pound pickups
    Leo Quann Badass II bridge

4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I thought the bassist for No Doubt played a Stingray/Sterling? At least, he held one in the music video I saw of them. :)

Does anyone know if GC has these in store? This is the 2nd time I've seen this particular bass discussed and to me, this bass looks quite yummy. For the price though, I'd want to check these out in person just to get an idea of how much attention was paid to details.

5. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!

7. I already got one at $399 and they adjusted the price to $379. If nobody buys these, they'll keep going lower! I'll get another one if it ends up being $299.

8. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    You're probably thinking of Greg Kiesel from the Offspring. Yeah they've been clearing them out for awhile.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's basically an ATK with P/J pickups, from the material I've read. Which is good, because it means they have a 1.75" nut, which is the best nut width for a 4 string, ever.

So, in theory, they kick ass.

10. Yeah, Funky, I remember when you bought yours; it was around Thanksgiving, wasn't it?

I can't believe that vintage fade (sunburst) is less than black. :confused:

Mike

P.S. February: From the Latin word februa, "to cleanse." I guess MF is cleaning house because it's February.

Source: Page 267 of the paper copy of www.almanac.com ;)

11. Yep, Dec 8, I think. They lowered it by $20 in time for me to request a price match. I got the black one, which is still $379. It's already an excellent deal at that price. I still have mine!

12. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    Maybe it was the ATK???

13. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    You do that and I'll find some way (chloroform, perhaps?) to convince the fiancée to agree to a second as well*. I dropped the bomb on one last week (Vintage Fade, and I wholehearted agree why the black is still running higher) even before the $20 price drop combined with my ASCAP discount, which almost made me feel guilty... almost, and it's everything owners here and BP's rave review less than a year ago said it was. SD BassLine Quarter Pound pickups, Badass II bridge, Hipshot tuners, 2-piece alder body, 1-piece maple "Prestige" neck (what Ibanez calls their "one step above" lines - more QC, better wood, etc.) that's near perfection for this style bass - just enough "meat", but not to much to strain your hand. Between the combination of all of the above, playing it pickstyle is like a sledgehammer to the frontal lobe... and that's not a bad thing. Finesse is great, active electronics are wonderful (this is my first passive bass since my starter long ago) and is a large part of my sound, but sometimes sheer power is called for. I can't believe more people aren't jumping on his, and I can't believe Ibanez is discontinuing it. I took them to task about it in the "comments" sections of the online warrantee. ;) It's a shame that it looks like this is going to be the last MIJ Ibanez - even their "Prestige" and high-end models, as all construction is shifting to Korea with the closing of their Japanese factory. :rollno:

*The reason I'd love a second? I bought this to fill the "low-slung, downtuned traditional pickstyle bass" my toolbox was lacking. However, I'm having so much fun playing her in standard tuning that I'd love to grab a black model, get a custom mother-of-pearl pickguard made, and downtune that to be \m/etal. I know few boundaries. :D

14. Down to $349 for a killer sounding and playing bass, and just in time to get another $30 credit since I bought at $379. These are really a steal for the quality of construction and parts you're getting. :bassist:

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Another Mississipian; right on. You, Page, and I are all in the same general area. Just to be a guy from Biloxi and another from Meridian, but I hadn't seen either one of them for a while

Take it easy,
    Adam