Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kinda Beginner but not really beginner bassist needs advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scott, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Alright here's my story. I've been playing bass for about for about 8 months now, and recently got together with a few guys to play in a punk band. We were playing a small local show a couple of nights ago, and my bass got trashed. It was a Peavey Milestone IV. Some guy got thrown outta the mosh pit and knocked me into a wall. I unfortainetly landed against the wall on my bass, snapping the neck in 2. The dufus who was thrown out of the mosh pit(He was completely hammered) decided, what the hell, his bass is already broken, why not grab it and smash it. Me, still kinda dazed from the fall didn't realize what he was doing until it was too late.

Anywho, this brings me to my current problem. I need a new bass fairly fast. I'm looking for something that can be fairly punchy for punk, but also smooth for when I wanna play some jazz or ska stuff. I currently live in Canada so if you put the price of a certain bass, please tell me if it's Canadian or American money. Money isn't really a problem. My awsome dad has agreed to use a recently aquired bonus from work to pay for the new bass! Anyways, that's all I've got to say. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys and Girls

Scott :bassist:

2. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Schecter Custom4 or 5. Try it, you'll fall in love. Many on line music sites sell them for 499.00 US. Before you buy any other bass TRY THIS, plz!

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Go order a essex they are great for the price... some say better than the squiers.. a few say they are up there with mexican fenders...

or just go get a ibanez or OLP... ya. Guitar center is your friend in times like these.

4. did you get that punk to pay for the bass he broke?

5. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Dude, what you need is a Fender P-bass. Not only is it THE punk bass, but also, it's the classic sound of the past 50 years so it will work for anything, it's smooth, fits any music style and you can get a Mexican or an American one for under 400 and 1000 respectively in the United States, I don't know Canadian conversion rates. But you should really check out the P-bass my man, most punk bassists play one and okay it well.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Fender MIM P bass or Essex P bass.

7. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    People seem to be able to get the popular punk sounds from Fender Jazz and P-basses. I wouldn't worry about what other people are playing, but it may be worth your time to give them a try. Those basses definitely can provide punch, and are pretty readily available. Ibanez makes pretty respectable basses for rock that can be found for decent prices... not sure how punchy they are, but with some tinkering, they might suffice. Schecters are similar to Ibanezes in that regard. I've never had the chance to play an Essex, but they seem to be the ruler of the good bass/great value kingdom. If you're looking for something semi-permanent, I'd avoid Squires... I've heard too many bad stories about 'em. For a little more, you could go for a Spector... and then you'd be cookin' with gas!;)

8. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Actually Shecters have been compared more to Warwicks and ESPs than Ibanez.

9. Get a nice Fender Jazz for around 1000 Canadian, less if it's used. Very wide variety of sounds and tones, and it's used in a lot of punk. Try em out.