King Crimson moves forward with new bassist!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Check out Fripp's diary on

Our friend Tony Levin is back! :)

I think that this is a good move. I'd interested to see how the new rhythm section will work. Tony was always the foundation. When it was Trey and Pat, they kind of shared that duty. So maybe Pat will go crazy(er), now that Levin will be holding things together.
  2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Glad to read Tony is back among King Crimson.

But I'd just like to say he was not always the foundation. He joined KC in 1980/1981 "only". Several other bassists played in KC, and one among them was great of the greats : John Wetton.

Though, I agree that since 1981, Tony's presence was essentiel in KC's music.

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    What I meant was, that when Tony was in KC, he held the foundation.
  4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Man, I thought Tony was irreplacable, but Trey really came into his own after a few years. I will miss his playing.

Tony rules, but I am not sure how well he will work with the new material/direction. Trey and Pat really became a cohesive unit, and I am having a hard time imagining Tony doing the techno drum n bass thing with Pat. Could be a disaster, could be great. Either way, I can't wait.

Hey! I am a poet and I didn't even realize it!
  5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Well, that's why I'm excited. Fripp always said that the direction of the band is dictated by the people in it, so we're bound to get something bizarre/cool with Tony back in the fold.
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Tony is one of my favorite bassists and KC has always been one of my favorite bands. No complaints here.

brad cook
  7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I'll miss Trey's playing too.. However, Tony is very versatile and I'm sure will have no trouble with the material.
  8. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    I have to second that. Wetton/Bruford was one of the greatest creative/prog rythym sections of all time, maybe even better than Squire/Bruford.

Re Tony Levin, I see him get talked up an awful lot on this board. But I've only heard him play BASS on one record - Robert Fripp's Exposure. He shreds the P-Bass on that album, it's f*in phenomenal. Everything else I've heard with TL is all Chapman Stick... which isn't bass, and doesn't do much for me. Not to hijack the thread, but could somebody please point out any other albums where TL plays a standard 4-string bass?
  9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Pick any of Peter Gabriel's solo records. Levin tends to use a Music Man 5 on those.
  10. Considering that the Stingray 5 wasn't released until 1987, this statement is somewhat in error.

Levin played mostly Precision on the first two Gabriel albums, Music Man (fretted and fretless Sabres and 'Rays) and Stick on the next two, and mostly MMs (again, fretted and fretless Sabres and 'Rays) on So and Us. My guess is that Up is mostly 'Ray 5.
  11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Tony plays alot of bass on his solo albums, as well as with Black Light Syndrome. He's played bass on countless other albums (including a bunch of Crimson stuff), but I don't have two weeks to type a response.
  12. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Well here are a few besides the ones already mentioned: Double Fantasy- Lennon
    Paula Cole- This Fire
    Dire Straits- Brothers in Arms
    Paul Simon- One Trick Pony - Still Crazy After All These Years
    Indigo Girls- Swamp Ophelia
    Liquid tension Experimen
    Pink Floyd-Momentary Lapse of Reason
    Lou Reed- Berlin
    Yes- Union
    Alice Cooper- Welcome to My Nightmare
    Buddy Rich-Ease On Down the Road
    Tony Levin Band-
    Michelle Shocked- Arkansas Traveller
    Al DiMeola-Scenario
    Karen Carpenter- 1980-1996
    The list goes on and on......
  13. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Pretty extensive list, thanks guys. Now I know why I was in the dark about TL... I just don't listen to any of that stuff! Well, except for the Alice Cooper and the 1st 2 Gabriel solo albums. I'm still pretty sure the early Gabriel stuff was mostly stick. I saw him live when Gabriel toured for the 2nd one, and IIRC he played stick the whole night... of course that was about 20 yrs ago so who knows.

Still should be interesting to hear the new KC.
  14. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, KC haven't repeated themselves yet, so mebbe the techno bit will give way to something new.....

that said, Tony's one of my favorite players in general,a nd my favorite KC bassist in particular.