1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kiss My Grit!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Butterbass, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Butterbass

Butterbass

Jul 6, 2008
    Ok, Got the P-Bass, got the flats, got the Ampeg B200R, got the foam mute, I even got the BJFE blueberry, but in my estimation i'm still lacking in the jamerson/ Mo-tone dept. Many, many lives of beautiful karmic basstiality to Grygryx for his Holy fire Demo! Got so much GAS i haven't left the water closet in days! ;) For those who love Diego Diegerson's tone, and with my specs, could anyone give me their opinion on these pedals in order to get St. James's sound: Cream Pie, VT Bass ( Soundclips sound kinda brittle n clangy to me, but lotsa cats seem to swear by it) Holy Fire or EHX English Muffin? Talk to me!

2. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Wow! I really do mean this in the most respectful way possible, but trying to "cop" Jamerson-esque Motown tone isn't half as much about gear as it is about your hands & your head!

That said, you should be well on track with what you already have. At this point, technique & attitude should get you there- probably not a pedal...

Also keep in mind that what Jamerson sounds like in the context of the recording may not be at all what you hear were you to solo the bass track. Context has a lot to do with tone as well.

All in my humble opinion - At least your goal is a worthy one! Jamerson still rules the bass world!!!!

3. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Fuzz Factory or Fuzz God II ;)

4. play closer to the neck and dig in more!

5. Butterbass

Butterbass

Jul 6, 2008
    Hey Catz, Tanx for all the advice! There's no way I'm worthy of ever coppin his technique or even puttin the gunk on his fretboard on my forehead as some sorta ash advent to that Bass God. I guess what I was really askin was which one of those pedals would get me close to the broken up, touch responsive hair on the bottom tone he gets? Are the Fuzz Factory and Fuzz god II both made by Z Vex? I love those soloed bass tracks on the Standing in the Shadows Soundtrack! I guess that's really the tone I'm goin for. Thanx Agin!

6. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    The VT Bass only gets clangy if you whack up the treble or character knobs; it's great for old school Ampeg sounds.