Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Klaus Voorman w/ John Lennon

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JohnBarr, Aug 24, 2004.

1. JohnBarr

JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    "Whatever Gets You Through the Night"
    I never paid much attention to that song, never liked it much really.
    But it was on the radio the other day and the bass line really jumped out. I believe it was Voorman. Don't know much about him, but he's all over this song. A lot of notes, fast and punchy. Almost like he's filling in for a missing guitar player. Anyone ever had a go at playing this one?

2. Klaus did most of the Lennon stuff in the 70's as the bass player for the Plastic Ono Band. He also designed the Revolver album cover!

3. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    glad someone mentioned this!

always one of my fav bass lines.

and i like jamerson, jaco, and all that.

i think voorman runs (or ran) a hotel in germany now.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Plus the Anthology covers.

IIRC, Voorman also played on Harrison's All Things Must Pass.

Very bouncy/busy line on that Lennon tune to be sure. Nice work.

5. he's on some of Lou Reed's Transformer album (Herbie Flowers plays on the rest)- I think on "Satellite of love", "perfect day" and "vicious"?

http://www.klausvoormann.com

6. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
  7. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    a good example of ultra-economic playing is Klaus' work on Lennon's 'Plastic Ono Band' album...

absolutely minimalist bass playing, which works perfectly for the mood of the album

8. Klaus is also on the George Harrison Tribute DVD. This is a great DVD (with Clapton of course).

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Second that!

10. I had thought that, but I was too lazy to look it up, and I remembered seeing Carl Radle's name on the album.