Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Knife question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vorago, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I'm interested in purchasing a new knife (my old one is practicly faded away), and I came across this one

[​IMG]

I really like the design and colour.
    My main question is: is this one of those knives that pop out if you press a little button (pardon me for not knowing the correct english word) or do you have to pull it out with your finger? I can't find it on the site.
    Second: Is this a good buy? I know squat about knives.
    Mind you, here in Europe, laws on weapons are much stricter (to say the least :D ) then in the US. In order to carry it on you, the blade has to be less then the palm of your hand (4 inches)..

Ideas?

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    They're called switchblades here, and they're illegal in one form or another, in most states here. So, I would assume that that is manual with a locking latch.

3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    To answer your question #1 It does not appear to be an "automatic" or "switchblade" the tab on the knife blade is a giveaway, desighned so you can use your thumb to assist in quick one handed opening. The need to open a blade quickly is not just for self defense, if you are in an auto accident, many times seat belt mechanisms jam and you need to exit the car quickly, a serated blade of decent quality will help you exit the vehicle. #2 If your laws are stricter then the states, fully automatic, knives with an assist mechanism are only available to law enforcement with ID, I have no Idea, but in the states it is Federal law , not state on auto asist. Military can purchase with ID and leterhead from there superiors. #3 The legal knives in the states from the better manufactors are very quick one handed operation without being Automatic. The Smith and Wesson pictured is an OK model in it's Genre (I supplied law enforcement with knives as part of my job) The better Values in its Price range are Spydeco, Some Gerber, Columbia River. If you can spend more money, you'll get a true "lifetime" knife with Benchmade (start at about 69.99 US) and Emerson, M.O.D.,Some Cold Steel, and now Surefire is makeing knives, haven't seen them but I know surefire and I'm sure there excellent. If I can offer a suggestion look for a half serated blade and check the action and smoothness of the locking mechanism. Also check how "tight" the blade is locked, there should be NO PLAY in the blade lock up and the knife should remain smooth thruout the whole operation. I am sure I did not cover all the brand names, but you won't go wrong with any I suggested and Benchmade is probably the standred to compare against.

4. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Right. That's a locking easy-open style folding knife, & it looks to be a fairly decent one. I don't buy into the "name game" with knives. The shape of the cutting edge is much more important to me than how "tactical" it is & that one looks like it would work well.

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I thought so too, but then I found this.

I don't really know much about the legal issues involved, so this could only be referring to law enforcement/military personnel that acquired them through legal means.

6. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    It may have changed scince 98 because we had to prove we were a Law enforcement supply opperation just to order wholesale from national suppliers. And they were very strict, Most wholesalers aren't to worried about enforceing state laws on orders (the exception being guns which are highly controlled at every level). Even Benchmade wanted to see that our FFL was class three ( proving we were LE supply) before we could order. Benchmade says on there website they will not ship ANY RESTICTED FEDERAL knives without copys of Photo ID (Active duty Military or LE) on file from the customer.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    In most states auto-assist knives (but not switchblades) are legal. I'm talking about knives such as the Kershaw knives where you open it yourself a certain percentage and then from there it automatically opens the rest of the way.

brad cook

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh and regarding switchblades. That goes by state. In some states they are legal, in the majority they are not as the website link points out. No national anti-switchblade laws.

brad cook

9. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I've owned, and own...quite a few knives. The only problem I have had with the S&W's is the belt clip. The Allen screws that hold it into place never stay tight. I've tried all kinds of things, even Loc-Tite and they constantly need tightening.

Best brand of knife..either manual or auto has been Benchmade...they're my personal favorite.

10. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Brad, Your right in theory, but it is illegal to cross statelines with one in your possesion unless you only have use of only one limb or legal access (ie:LE or Active Duty Military). So if you buy one that is produced in your state and don't leave your state with it, it may be OK depending on state laws. But it is illegal to engage in interstate commerce (2000$ fine per violation) with any Auto knives. Also be real careful with the Kershaws, More and more state AG's are beginning to classify there auto assist as a "switchblade". I remember Several Distributors would not ship us any Auto knives without proff of a contract (LE), not even Demos! We could get SMG's for demonstration purposes (loan only) but not Auto knives! Kind af an Ironic issue. Razor, I'm with you on Benchmade, S & W, who I beleive imports there knife (made overseas and licensed) weren't in the ame league, one good alternitive for less money is Spydyco, great stuff and as good of steel as anyone (non-custom).

11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Alright, thanks for the replies so far! I'm gonna check my local stores (I have two here) and see what other things are in stock. I doubt they have those high-end knives here.

Oh, and could you tell me some more about the shape of the cutting edge? What's important, what is less important, etc. I'm a compleet n00b on these grounds, so any help is appreciated!

12. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Vorago, The shape of the Smith and wesson blade as pictured is what you want (drop points ) they offer a ton of versitility. I would look for a half-serated, thats a saw style balde for about 1/2 or 1/3 of the first (by the grip) half of the blade. There is one European brand you might add to your list, puma, at least use to make some nice stuff. I don't know much about the market over there but both Cold Steel and Spydyco are Japanese, and Columbia River Imports alot of it's mid priced stuff. Check higher end sporting goods stores, gun shops and mountaineering shops. I'd be real surprised if brands like benchmade aren't available there. If you goggle for Benchmade you'll find they have dealers/distributers all over the world. Can't gaurentee price though, I would be interested to know what there selling for on the continent. If you buy one and don't lose it, keep it clean it will last the rest of your life and your grand kids lives too, there that well made!

13. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Well, I used to work for a law enforcement supply company and sold automatic knives to whoever wished to purchase them, as of 2 years ago, there were no restrictions on sales in FL that I was aware of. I have also bought several automatic knives through the internet that came from other states. I do know that the S&W is an import knife that would not be sold to anyone in law enforcement, it is not a good knife. It's cheap, but not good. Try to get a Benchmade or a Microtech. They have many good models. I own 2 Columbia River knives that are manual, but are amazing knives in the $40-$80 range, check those out. If you don't need to use the knife for anything life saving, there are several places to get knock-offs of very expensive knives that are good and cheap. I have a Microtech automatic knock-off that is very similiar to the $350 dollar version, and I paid $25!!

14. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    well, i have never liked the S&W, especially their lower end models. Utter crap, the low ends one are... but some of the high end ones are nice. not the best value, by far, but nice if you really want the knife for some reason. As for suggestions for a good knife, i recomend the spring assisted kershaw whirlwinds. they are similar size with blades shorter than 4 inches, and can be had here in the US for about 45-60 dollars, depending on where you get it. They are a very solid knife, no wiggle in blade after 3 years of daily use, so it has been very satisfactory for me thus far.

another good brand... benchmade, of course, would suit your needs. They are kinda spendy, though. I personally like many of the gerbers that are out there, as well as the Buck knives, which sport a lifetime warranty. I snapped my blade prying a nail up wiith my buck, and they sent me a new one! Buck knives is a great company which has very good warrantys on their usually very nice product.

slick

15. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I've carried one of these for about 4 years now. It does what I need, & that's all I need. I bought this particular one because at my former job I had to wear khaki pants and I can't deal with a heavy knife draggin' down my pockets.
    [​IMG]
    LINK.

16. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    My general pocket knife is a Spyderco Dragonfly Stainless steel. it's very thin, opens fast one handed. and doesn't leave any pocket bulge in jeans.. check em out! I swear by em.

17. I think they're illegal in europe, but I have one that is similar.
    [​IMG]
    this one, except that mine is totally black (it looks real cool :cool: )
    You have to pull it out with your thumb, and there's alse a safety, so that it won't fold in unexpected:)
    I payed 70 euro's for this knife, and it's top quality, and razor sharp if you maintain it a bit :D

18. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    What brand is that and where did you buy it brother? :D

19. Also Smith & Wesson, a knife from their SWAT-series.
    I bought in a local weapon/fishing store:)

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Long as we're talking knives...

Spyderco Dodo? I like the small cutting edge, and fairly compact overall length. I know, it's not some 4" bladed murderin' knife (even having grown up in the Alaskan bush, anything over about 7" open is technically a murderin' knife), but I rarely find myself having to say, kill bears.

And, frankly, I like the off-kilter looks. Anyone able to comment on quality?

The other one was a Benchmade Mini-Griptilian Tanto (combo blade...557?). I hear good things about Benchmade, and I do love me a good tanto, but that Dodo is just a little more visually appealing to me.