1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Knot Head Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NYBassMan, Mar 9, 2013.

1. NYBassMan

NYBassMan

Oct 19, 2003
    East Meadow, NY
    Has anyone heard of Knot Head. I have visited their website and seen some of their basses on eBay. I made contact with the builder Murray and he is sending me some sound samples tomorrow. Anybody have any experience with these?

Anthony

2. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    I saw one of these on eBay today, it looks great except for that big ulcerated ring around the volume pot.
    I understand what the builder is trying
    To represent, making reference to a knothole on a real tree, it's just ugly as heck and ruins a decent looking affordable bass.

3. NYBassMan

NYBassMan

Oct 19, 2003
    East Meadow, NY
    Yeah, I have to say that the "knot" is not good looking at all. Otherwise a very unique and nice looking instrument.

4. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    The knot looked like it was screwed in- if you are really looking to buy one of these, and you are more diplomatic than
    Me (a sidewalk is more diplomatic than I
    ), you might find a polite way to ask how you can get one "un-knotted"...(I just made a funny!)

5. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Looks like a Wishbass ripoff, honestly.

6. NYBassMan

NYBassMan

Oct 19, 2003
    East Meadow, NY
    Still waiting on sound samples. I wonder what it will sound like.

7. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    I have to disagree. Only similarities to Wishbass are ferrule free string through holes and the floating saddle.
    Finish looks about twice as nice and neck is far thinner. I should know, I own Wishbass 38 with no mods, it's great for what it is.
    To me, the Knothead looks like he based it on a Carl Thompson, look at the scroll and the headstock.
    I really like the look as a CT clone but that bleeding ulcer kills it!

8. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Very Carl Thompson esque. I thought I remembered this guy posting in a local Craigslist, and I was right. He lives in the same town as me. Unfortunately, he has his basses on display at a music store I never go to. Maybe I need to stop in some time.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I looked at his website.
    Ewwwww.

ymmv.

10. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    ^ This. Otherwise good looking basses. Wonder if he'll omit the "ulceration" on request. Maybe a "knotless" version? :bag:

11. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    Kinda looks like a fancy version of a Wishbass. I'll pass.

12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Um..no thanks weird looking builds IMO.

13. this ol bass

this ol bass

May 21, 2013
    i hope you like the changes i've made pertaining to the "bleeding ulcer " issues:bassist:

14. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I checked the website, but I don't see anything different, am I looking in the wrong place?

15. That whole volume pot area looks like a giant nippple!

16. this ol bass

this ol bass

May 21, 2013
    look on ebay i have not updated the website yet sorry:bassist:the giant nipple comment was hilarious btw

17. For 1000 dollars, it wouldn't be my first choice...

18. this ol bass

this ol bass

May 21, 2013
    Knot Head Basses can now be played at R&R Music Central, Avon Indiana I encourage those of you who have actually played one to voice your opinion thank you. :bassist:

19. mhopper

mhopper

Nov 13, 2013
    20140313-_KNT2077. I own a knothead 4 string. It is extremely well made! it plays like a dream. This isn't your normal, run of the mill ebay crap! Murray takes great pride in his work and will make sure that as a customer you are satisfied! Buy with confidence! How good is it? I own two laklands and a fender p bass. I haven't played either of them since the knothead arrived almost a month ago!