1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Knuckle pain

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bodom85, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Hello. I'm a rather new bass player. I've been plucking away on my bass for about 2 and half months. At first I was so concerned about theory and trying to learn as much as I could at once that I wasn't playing much do to frustration. Then I watched a youtube video with a Billy Sheehan that changed my perspective. He said just play and the rest will eventually fall into place. Or something along those lines. So I did. First with youtube videos then I got rocksmith. Things have been going great. I get lost in the game and before I know it hours have gone by and I've learned so much.

Other than some forearm and finger tip soreness, I haven't had any real problems. I played guitar on and off over the last 10 years so I'm used to that stuff. But this week I get a nagging pain in the knuckle/joint nearest my finger tip on my fret hand. It's like it needs to be cracked by won't go. It has really been bugging me to the point where I haven't been playing much that past couple days. Is this common? I tried to search for it but wasn't sure of the wording. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I apologize for the long winded intro but wanted to share my background and I'm hyped up on a monster lemon tea rehab. :bassist:
    Thanks
    C.

2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Sounds to me like you are pressing down too hard when you fret. To give you an idea of just how little pressure is required to fret a string, try fretting without the thumb on the back of the neck for a couple of minutes. Do this from time to time to "remind" your fingers of exactly how much pressure (or more to the point....how little) is required.

On a general note. Rest up for a day or so, then try the above experiment. Take regular breaks from playing. Increase the playing time gradually. Give your hands/fingers/wrists time to adapt to this new "job" that has ben given to them.

Here is a clip worth checking out :

Best of luck. :)

3. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    +1 to what Fearcoel says.

Just be wary of the amount of curl, or lack of it in your fretting hand. Any force used should run through the joint not over it, so it is important that joints work in line. As for time practicing, set an alarm for twenty minutes and take a break every twenty minutes, it breaks up practice time into smaller time frames so easier to manage. :)