Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emielow, Feb 26, 2005.

1. emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    what about a jazzbass body made of koa? is it a good wood for tone? i maybe want to have it in my future warmoth bass, with a flamed koa top and a birdseye maple neck...

is it a good choice?
  2. emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    and a koa neck, with a birdseye maple fingerboard?
  3. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    not sure bout a koa neck but check out the victor bailey he has a koa jazz and it is delicious
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Let you know in about 4 months.
  5. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    This is a one-piece Koa body I bought in '82 (marketed by DiMarzio at the time). Neck is a Warmoth Padauk/Ebony. Aero's w/passive V-V-T. Sounds and plays great.

6. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Which Aero is that at the bridge?
    Looks great!
  7. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    I have a custom modulus jazz with a flamed koa/alder body and it sounds great.
  8. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

Warmoth will build a neck out of koa ...

mine is koa body with koa neck , front is zebra wood ...
    wonderful tone wood , very stable as neck material {due to Warmoth super-bass construction } ...
  9. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

more pictures of koa ...
  10. dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    Now that looks a bit special.
  11. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Pardon the delay in answering - I didn't get back on line until today. When I first assembled this bass (in '82) I had 3 DiMarzio J's in it. I filed the ears off a pair, glued them together and had the rout expanded for them. Those are pretty hot pickups to start with. With the third the output was sizzling, way more than I needed. With this incarnation I decided to go with only a pair of Aero's and they are the bomb IMO! Great pickups!!! Anyway, that's an empty cover below the bridge pickup (with a strip of aluminum foil inside to look like polepieces) to cover the hole.

Thank you very much!!! :D
  12. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I had a Peavey RSB with a solid Koa body. I haven't touched it in about a year, as I sold it to a friend, and my tastes have changed since I sold it. Getting Koa instruments I feel is going to start to get difficult in the next decade or so, as it's already on endangered species lists. Hope this helped in some way,

13. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I've got some Koa growing in my back yard.
  14. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Save me a tree! I'll pay ya. :ninja: :bag:

15. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I believe that Koa has the same tonal characteristics as Mahogany, and Mahogany is a great sounding body wood, so I think that Koa would be a fantastic choice. I'm not sure about it as a neck wood, but I have seen a bass that Mike Tobias built entirely from Koa that looked very nice, so if he thinks it can be suitable for a neck wood, that's good enough for me.
  16. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    here's a "koamohag" J with a unmarked Moses neck(my thumbs are really crappy, sorry)...in case you're wondering the marker dots are not off center, neither are the strings, sort of....The distance between the outside of the strings are equal, not the distance between the center of the strings..I'm not really sure if it makes much difference or not, so it was probably a wast of time..If you are planning to get Koa as a top wood only it won't have a huge effect on the sound, but opinions on this can vary...bottom line is it is a great looking wood and gets lot's of comments...

Attached Files:

17. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Victor Bailey jazz is made of Koa and Mahogany, Maybe that's why it sounds sooo goood! :bassist:
  18. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    My new Smith 6 in progress has a flamed koa top... Actually koa has tonal characteristics similar to maple.
  19. + 1

That's what I've read
  20. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Don't believe everything you read.