Kona Walkingstick

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by fydeaux, Feb 3, 2006.

1. fydeaux

Jan 30, 2006
    I'm new to this board, so forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere; if it has been, I have not been able to find it.

Anyway, I am considering ordering a 4-string version of a Kona Walkingstick, but since they are made in Hawaii and I live in Wisconsin, there is not opportunity to try before I buy.

Does anyone have any practical experience with one of these? I would not expect to use this on a funk gig, but is there anything else that it definitely unsuited for?

Any firsthand information at all would be greatly appreciated.

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I played KonaBob's bass in the Kahului airport yesterday, as I was waiting to catch a flight to a gig on the Big Isle. It's owned by Maui bassist Roy Kato, and old friend who was gigging in the airport. I was very pleasantly surprised with the Kona Walkingstick. It has a big, fat, warm sound, it's as light as a feather, looks very nice, and features the lightest action I've ever experienced on an EUB. I guess it's probably aimed at folks who want to mess around and have fun with upright bass, but it actually is a viable, good sounding axe.

To top it off, I coincidentally met "Kona Bob" that evening for the first time (in Kona); he happened to come to the concert I was playing and introduced himself. He is a truly nice guy, we had a great conversation. I think he's doing something really cool with this bass; kind of a niche instrument for people who want to have some fun with EUB without having to spend a bunch.
  3. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    looked at konabob's webpage......wonderful looking instrument, would love to try one!
  4. Konabob

Konabob Konaweb LLC

Jan 9, 2004
    Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

I just happened to find your post on Christmas Eve. Thanks for the kind review. It was kind of like getting an early Christmas Present. Shirley and I enjoyed hearing you and Amy Gilliom (and the band) here in Kona. Hope to get to Honolulu some time this year. Maybe we will get a chance to hear you again!

I just posted a video on YouTube of Led Kaapana doing a rippin' version of "Sweet Georgia Brown", with me on the Kona Walkingstick.

Since it is a long video, they compressed the heck out of the video, so it is kind of fuzzy... but the audio quality is just fine.