Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kona Walkingstick

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by fydeaux, Feb 3, 2006.

1. fydeaux

fydeaux

Jan 30, 2006
    I'm new to this board, so forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere; if it has been, I have not been able to find it.

Anyway, I am considering ordering a 4-string version of a Kona Walkingstick, but since they are made in Hawaii and I live in Wisconsin, there is not opportunity to try before I buy.

Does anyone have any practical experience with one of these? I would not expect to use this on a funk gig, but is there anything else that it definitely unsuited for?

Any firsthand information at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I played KonaBob's bass in the Kahului airport yesterday, as I was waiting to catch a flight to a gig on the Big Isle. It's owned by Maui bassist Roy Kato, and old friend who was gigging in the airport. I was very pleasantly surprised with the Kona Walkingstick. It has a big, fat, warm sound, it's as light as a feather, looks very nice, and features the lightest action I've ever experienced on an EUB. I guess it's probably aimed at folks who want to mess around and have fun with upright bass, but it actually is a viable, good sounding axe.

To top it off, I coincidentally met "Kona Bob" that evening for the first time (in Kona); he happened to come to the concert I was playing and introduced himself. He is a truly nice guy, we had a great conversation. I think he's doing something really cool with this bass; kind of a niche instrument for people who want to have some fun with EUB without having to spend a bunch.

3. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    looked at konabob's webpage......wonderful looking instrument, would love to try one!

4. Konabob

Konabob Konaweb LLC

Jan 9, 2004
    Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
    [​IMG]

I just happened to find your post on Christmas Eve. Thanks for the kind review. It was kind of like getting an early Christmas Present. Shirley and I enjoyed hearing you and Amy Gilliom (and the band) here in Kona. Hope to get to Honolulu some time this year. Maybe we will get a chance to hear you again!

I just posted a video on YouTube of Led Kaapana doing a rippin' version of "Sweet Georgia Brown", with me on the Kona Walkingstick.

Since it is a long video, they compressed the heck out of the video, so it is kind of fuzzy... but the audio quality is just fine.

Aloha,
    -Konabob