1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Korg PX5D or Line6 POD X3?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dmibass123, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Korg PX5D

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Line6 POD X3

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. dmibass123

dmibass123

Sep 16, 2010
    Please help me choose the best compact multi-effects unit (Ease of Use, Sound Quality, Durability and Value wise) for guitar and bass players...

Korg PX5D

48533.jpg

http://www.korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=290

Line6 POD X3

[​IMG]

http://line6.com/podx3/

If you have other guitar/bass multi-effects unit in mind, please let me know...

Thanks

P.S.
    Dont forget to vote :D

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I have other products from both of these companies but none of these. I do have the Boss GT10-b ( $$$ expensive) but it is a complete board with enough effects to use without getting bored. Good luck . . . :)

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Between these 2, POD all the way.
    The Korg is really nice but it's meant to be a practice tool, not a full multi-effect unit.
    It can be used this way but it really isn't where it shines.

4. I would go with the Korg. Line 6 stuff in general seems to have a huge bias towards guitar players and rock and roll guys. If you don't fall into either of those categories look elsewhere. If you decide to go with a larger format the boss gt-10B is awesome if you have the patience to learn. The px5d has loads of settings for bass and guitar and guess what? They sound great! It is a more than competent live effects processor as well as practice tool and audio interface.

I guess I myself am biased since I had a px5d until it was stolen. I haven't tried the pod x3 but I've tried other line 6 multi-effects and I wasn't feelin' any of them. Their Tone Core stompboxes are sweet though if you choose to go that route.

5. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    +1 for the Boss GT-10B, awesum machine with endless settings and sounds.

6. dmibass123

dmibass123

Sep 16, 2010
    Actually, I have tried the GT-10B at our local guitar shop, and it was great.
    Sorry, but the question is ...compact multi-effects unit for guitar and bass players...

Thanks

7. zaubertuba

zaubertuba

Nov 1, 2009
    I can't speak to the Korg, but I have the Pod X3 Live, an I if I'm not mistaken the x3 Live shares pretty much full functionality with the desktop unit you're asking about, except maybe having more input and output options and more controls available "on the floor." I'm effectively using it for both bass and guitar sounds on my NS/Stick, and it does great for both! :bassist:

Well, the X3 does come with a *lot* of guitar presets but does have some decent bass presets. Honestly my favorite tones weren't stock with the unit but downloaded from the Line 6 website. There's a user community full of tones for your perusal. If you "sort" of like a tone, there's very little you *can't* change-eq, amp model, all manners of effects and effects settings-and adjust it until it's exactly what you want. It's actually pretty insane what you can customize.

As far as genres, I'm getting some decent blues/fusion tones out of the guitar side, and even some jazzy fretless-sounding tones for the bass side.

One warning, though, the Line 6 Pod units do have a bit of a learning curve. I've heard people complain about the stock tones and usability but honestly the unit is so multi-functional I'm not sure how you could get away with not reading the manual and spending some time getting to know the it.

8. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I own the Korg and while it's an awesome practice tool. As an effects unit it is lacking. It's just noisy to put it bluntly. When using it through headphones it sounds fine, plug it into an amp and you are amplifying a lot of noise that was not really noticable though headphones.

However if you want to be able to practice quietly away from your amp or computer, with drums, effects, a tuner, etc... the Pandora is hard to beat.

9. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
  10. Shappo

Shappo

Apr 28, 2010
    Australia
    I can only tell you about the PX5D since I own one.

These things are great for practicing, since you can use loads of different drum beats and set them to different tempos etc... They help you play in time.
    With the effects, I would only use about 10 percent of them (compression, envelope filter). Most of them are for guitar and the majority that are created for bass are pretty bad. I don't recommend using the PX5D live for effects, just use it for practice since some of the effects are noisy.
    You can also use it as a recording device, which I thinks pretty cool. If you like to make a lot of videos of yourself using your webcam, the PX5D is for you (check out MarlowDK he uses one most of his vids).
    Overall dude, if this is an investment to benefit your practicing I suggest you get it. But if your looking to use this actually infront of people I wouldn't do it. I kind of regret buying mine because I dislike all the fiddling around you got to do on it, when it comes to effects I like to just stomp the sucker :p

11. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I have a PX4D. I think it's a great practice tool, but I don't think the sound quality, noise floor, build quality and usability is good enough for live use. I really wouldn't trust it. I'd go with the pod. Actually, whilst I appreciate you want something compact, I'd go with something built for stage use, either the bigger X3 Live, GT10, Zoom B9/1ut or for compactness something like one of the small Zooms (B2.1u) or a small Boss (ME20?).

If you do decide to go Pod, I'd hold fire. There's a new range incoming very soon called Pod HD. So you might prefer one of them, or once their launched, you might be able to pick up a discontinued X3 for a huge discount.

http://www.thedailyguitar.com/line-6-pod-hd-a-sneak-peek

12. dmibass123

dmibass123

Sep 16, 2010

13. zaubertuba

zaubertuba

Nov 1, 2009
    Well...none of the HD-series units could truly be called "compact." :p

....and unfortunately the HD series won't include any Bass amp models or tones, anyway: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=783313&highlight=pod+hd500&page=5

14. dmibass123

dmibass123

Sep 16, 2010
    That is sad... :crying:

15. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    I have a PX4D and a POD XT w/ the bass model pack. When it comes to bass tones, I much prefer the PX4D.

16. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Very sad. I had blindly assumed that the Pod HD range would be the new top range. It appears not. Looks like the X3 and bass pods might be around for some time then.

Hey, maybe later they'll make a Bass Pod HD.

PS, true they're not that compact, but that HD 300 seems like a nice manageable size.

17. zaubertuba

zaubertuba

Nov 1, 2009
    <off-topic> ...I suppose it's possible, if we make enough noise about it, they'll include some bass amp models in a firmware update. :ninja: </ot>

It does, at that. And at that price point, they'll probably sell a gazillion of them.

18. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Funny this ... I've been wondering recently if I should get a more recent (and reliable) POD than my current POD xt and that's usually been followed by the thought ... I'll bet that we must be due an update on the POD X3 soon.

Then an email arrived with this link about the POD HD launch -- http://uk.line6.com/podhd/index.html (so there were benefits to registering after all).

[​IMG]

Great ! ... I'll get the bass model :) .... oops, there isn't a bass model ... nor are there bass amps in the standard model, (unless the bassman is paired with a suitable bass cabinet ... hmm). :rollno:

Ah well ... floods of cheap X3s soon I hope :)

Andy

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021