Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Koussevitzky, Chanson Triste

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by cmsouza, Feb 6, 2004.

1. cmsouza

cmsouza

Feb 3, 2004
    Maryland
    Koussevitzky, Chanson Triste

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey folks...I'm sure there's someone around here who's got a copy of Chanson Triste, edited by Fred Zimmerman...I only still have the piano score, and am re-writing the bass part from it, having loaned the original to a heathen who ended up losing it, and moved before replacing it. The local music stores have next to nothing for the bass (curse living in farmland!), and I can't find a copy nearby that I can check something on...

In measures 24-26 and 32 to the cadenza, the bass line, as written on the piano score, goes from bass clef to treble, and the notes, based on the clef change, seem to make a leap of just over an octave...For example, From measure 23 to 24 and 31-32, it goes from middle C on the bass clef to the top-line F sharp in treble clef.

Now, 12 years ago, I don't remember playing it that way, but sometimes I have trouble remembering where I put my wallet from the previous evening, so that shows you what my memory is worth...

All I'm wondering is if it really IS, for example, that 9-step jump in measure 23-24, or if it's actually a 2 1/2 step jump. I'm transcribing it to tenor clef for ease of writing... :help:

2. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I found the sheetmusic for this and a bunch of other Koussevitzky stuff at my community college library - both the piano accompaniment and bass part. Just in case you haven't tried it yet...

3. cmsouza

cmsouza

Feb 3, 2004
    Maryland
    I didn't even think to try the community college. Thanks!

4. Dear Cmsouza,
    As far as I know, publication of this piece is only in solo tuning. I am not sure if you have another copy that is in orchestra tuning accompaniment.
    Regardless, since you are figuring this out from the piano part, you also have to consider transposing everything down a whole step. I only noticed this when you were talking about f#s. I don't have the score in front of me but I couldn't think of an f# in the section you are talking about. So I figure I would mention that.
    Good luck with the process.