1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

KR basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Phil Mastro, May 8, 2006.

1. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I searched and haven't found anything about these basses so...

I stumbled upon these 2 basses at LAG while looking at some other stuff and I thought they were beautiful. Here are the links to the said pages:

Ursa minor
    http://www.luthiersaccessgroup.com/kr_ursa_minor.html

kr_ursa_minor_2.

Ursa major
    http://www.luthiersaccessgroup.com/kr_ursa_major.html

kr_ursa_major_2.

There's also a crappy website to look at:
    http://www.luthiersaccessgroup.com/kr_ursa_major.html

Personnaly, I think the basses look really nice and original. Also, some of you might have noticed that they're fanned-fret instruments, but the fan is very subtle: 35" on the B and 34" on the G. They also have interesting woods, such as sitka spruce for the bodies, and peruvian walnut for necks (the later I find especially interesting cuz I have access to it for less than black walnut).

I'd definitely like to see more pics or hear a review if anyone's seen or tried them.

2. they sure look cool, but the price tag isn't too attractive to me :)

3. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Nice! Interesting with the subtle fanning.

4. That man is on the rock if he thinks he's going to get the prices he wants.

5. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Beautiful basses.....WAAAAAAAY too much money. Noone will spend that kind of money on an unknown builder.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Not the best looking basses.

7. Name Changed

Name Changed Banned

Apr 22, 2006
    Sarasota,FLORIDA
    looks like he failed at being original with the looks of those.;)

8. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    It'S like a parker Fly singlecut... I like the inlay on the back... but it's a bit pointless.

9. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i think the attention to detail and time he puts into those basses is what justifies that price. i still think it's a pretty high price, but i've also never seen an inlay on the back of a neck.

10. HiFive

HiFive

Mar 6, 2006
    Just wanted to add that I just purchased KR's newest addition the "Kamakiri". I'm am absolutely estatic about it. It's an extremely high quality bass. And as someone pointed out, the attention to detail is truly part of the price tag. Kevin the owner/luthier of KR Guitars has a knack for getting things done right the first time. Again, I couldn't be more happy with this thing, the tone and playabilty makes me grin everytime I sit down with it. Check out his wesite for more info at www.krguitars.com.
    IMG_0937_1.
    IMG_0942_1.
    IMG_0955.
    IMG_0940.
    IMG_0951.
    IMG_0938.

11. I had the pleasure of playing one of these at NAMM a couple of years back and I loved it.

12. reminds me of a fodera in shape.

13. DaneB

DaneB

May 25, 2008
    Western Australia
    I love the stubby lower horn, but had the upper one. If they had kind of a longer version of the lower horn for an upper one, I think that'd look great.