Kramer XL 8

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 1976grabber, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Can anybody recommend what strings I should use on my Kramer XL 8?
    I just got it. it's my first 8 string. I think it is a short scale bass...

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
  3. Well it measures 32" from the nut to bridge.

4. I bought those strings but, I have not used them yet. from what I have found this is a short scale bass.

5. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Can you measure it from nut to 12th fret and double the value? Nut to bridge isn't always accurate, but you may be right. The same strings oughta be fine tho.

6. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    I like the lighter gauge SIT nickels, which have a .90 on the low E. I think they only make 34" scale, but there is no thread wrap to worry about. The .90 works fine and the feel of the light gauge is nice, plus overall easier on the neck.

7. I sent an email to "bass strings Online" to see what they suggest. They have not returned an answer yet. I am sure I won't hear from them till Monday. It measures 15 1/2" from the nut to the 12th fret... So 31" I guess ...short scale correct.? I have the bass at a Luthier and he is doing some fret work on it. I just want to make sure and get the correct strings. it sounded great with the strings that where on it but, they were very old looking.

8. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    31 is quite short, shorter than i thought it'd be

9. I know but, it plays great and looks mean... I will post when I find the correct strings.

10. Thanks Webtroll and Spufman for your suggestions...

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021