Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kris Funn's Unique Take

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Sam Sherry, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Kenny Garrett played next town over last Friday and I watched a pretty kickin' show. The band was Don't Call Me Kenny G on alto and soprano, Carlos McKinney playing keys, Ronald Bruner on drums -- Ronald Bruner on drums! -- Ronald! Bruner! On! Drums! -- RONALD BRUNER ON DRUMS -- and Kris Funn performing on the double bass.

Kris played solid, musical, creative stuff and made it work all night long. His ability to play tough stuff right in tune on a borrowed bass seriously impressed. This band can definitely get into 'bring it' territory, too. Kris brought it every time it was time to do that.

The main reason I'm taking up your time is to draw your attention to Kris' website. 'Fess up: You wonder what it would be like to be in your mid-20s, single and touring the world with a major-league jazz act, don't you? Well, add to that Kris' intellegence, his deep jazz roots, his desire to live thoughtfully, his dead-on scope on drummers and his perspective as a young Black man and you peek on the site's appeal. Checkit.

PS: FWIW Kris posts on here occasionally but it's not for me to out him -- he ain't spoke up yet and it's his prerogative. Just one more example of, "Speak nicely because you never know who's listening."

2. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    I saw that group a few years ago in Chicago and enjoyed Kris's playing,ronald bruner jr can play but....i felt that dynamically he was a little over the top.this was a while ago so maybe he's adjusted his approach and to be fair kenny was vibe'n off what he was doing and he's the boss so there you go.

3. Check out his stories from the road. I've just read some hilarious stories about Mingus (see Finland). Well written and very funny!:)

4. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    yeah i did check out his stories and i think it's safe to say he doesnt dig the drummer much

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Hmmm... I suppose if my real name was Kris Funn (!) then I might well use a pseudonym on forums like this!! ;)

7. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005
    I saw Kris with Kenny Garrett last year at Rutgers but they had Jeff "tain" Watts along. They where awesome. I got to chat with Kris for a few minutes after the show, he a real cool chops and head over gear kinda guy.