1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Krivo vs Bieselle magnetic pickups

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Mouldy, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Mouldy

Mouldy

Feb 27, 2010
    Western Australia
    Has anyone tried the Biesele and the new Krivo and can give a comparison of the two? Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  2. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Don’t know about the Krivo but I have a Biesele. It’s good but expensive. It sounds a bit more electric like any other magnetic pickup but it can be very useful for loud fusion gigs. Which Krivo do mean exactly?

I also wonder how you attach the Krivo to neck exactly? Is it easily detachable? I only put it on at certain gigs.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  3. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
    I own and use a Krivo, and love it (I was just raving about it over on another thread this week). I use it with Helicore Hybrids, and even with the bow it sounds acceptable. I'll never use a piezo again.

It attaches to the end of the FB via heavy-duty Velcro. Not sure if you'd want to take it off and on all the time, it might wear out the Velcro.

Sorry, I've never tried a Biesele so I can't compare.

4. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    I guess sound wise there won’t be a lot a difference between them since both are magnetic and will give a more electric tone (?). The Biesele is much more expensive though.

5. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
    I like the appearance Biesele, as well as how it attaches to the FB. I might check it out sometime.

6. D Garr

D Garr

Mar 26, 2012
    I have both pick-ups the Bieselle is much better it has a phase switch volume adjustment for each string build quality is excellent,with the Krivo I ran out of adjustment regarding the string balance,,the Biselle has much for output it is worth the cost plus Clark Bieselle is a cool guy. I found the best amp is the GK for the Bieselle I just set it flat sounds great I get compliments on the sound and no one has said your bass sounds like a P-Bass

Mouldy, Les Fret and marcox like this.
  7. marcox

marcox

Dec 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    I'm very happy with the sound of my Krivo. It ended years of fighting feedback on loud bar gigs. I grudgingly tolerate the default attachment method. (Check out this thread for more on that topic.) Recently picked up a used Biesele but haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'll report back when I do.

Mouldy and Les Fret like this.
  8. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Thanks for pointing this out! I thought the Krivo also had individual string volume control though?

Maybe you can answer my questions. Haven’t used the Biesele for a while so I need some refreshing:
    1. What is the DPC switch for at the back of the pickup? I have the one with the separate mixer.
    2. What is that silver wire for and to what do you attach it? Is it for grounding?

Thanks.

9. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
    The pole pieces are Allen screws that can be raised / lowered.

10. Mouldy

Mouldy

Feb 27, 2010
    Western Australia
    I have the pickup only and no preamp and the switch on the back of mine is the phase switch. The 'DPC' I think refers to the model. The extra wire is the ground wire like you thought. My pickup is noiseless so I ditched the wire.

Les Fret likes this.
  11. Mouldy

Mouldy

Feb 27, 2010
    Western Australia
    Thanks for that info D Garr. I have the biesele and find it pretty good but was curious if the krivo was even better. Mine does sound a bit like a P bass but it is a useful tone for doing more of the rock/pop and louder stuff now again.

12. Mouldy

Mouldy

Feb 27, 2010
    Western Australia
    I'm very keen to hear you views on comparison between the two.

marcox likes this.
  13. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    ok, thanks. For what purpose do you use the phase switch exactly? Is it only useful if you use two pickups together?

14. John Burgess

John Burgess

Nov 28, 2011
    Australia
    I used to have a Biesele pickup. I did like the tone, but it was hard to see the point of it in the end.

By that I mean it considerably altered the acoustic tone of the bass, as you are attaching a heavy weight to the end of the fingerboard. It sapped a lot of resonance and almost made the bass sound "rubbery".

That may seem irrelevant on a loud gig, but at that point perhaps you'd be better off trying to make an electric double bass give you the tone you want? Something with a floating neck.

Les Fret likes this.
  15. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009

Good points. I think all magnetic pickups will give that more electric rubbery tone. Don't think it has to do with the Biesele? Will the Krivo give you a less electric tone? That's a question to the Krivo owners.

As for an electric double bass instead of an acoustic with a magnetic pickup. Maybe you are right tonewise. But an acoustic upright has a different feel and look that's something to take in account too.

16. neckdive

neckdive

Oct 11, 2013
    I play loud amplified acoustic rock gigs and was getting a lot of feedback issues on certain notes with my Krivo (depending on the room, proximity to other players, etc.). It was a real pain to go back to the PA and adjust the monitor between songs while holding the bass on stage.

I solved it by adding a simple P-bass circuit wired to the Krivo and built in to a custom wood assembly, then velcroed it in place to the underside of the fingerboard. The output jack is hidden underneath allowing me to use a G10 wireless transmitter which leaves no visible wires coming from the bass, a cool visual effect.

I consider this design more of a working prototype as the next one I plan to build could incorporate a more solid mounting system for the Krivo and reposition the knobs underneath the G side of the fingerboard. The final idea would be that the entire assembly could easily be removed from the underside of the fingerboard if desired or just leave it on all the time like I do.

IMG_4316.JPG
    IMG_4318.JPG

Jeff Bonny, marcox and HateyMcAmp like this.
  17. Mouldy

Mouldy

Feb 27, 2010
    Western Australia
    Phase switch is mainly for multiple pickups it would appear.

18. The other use of a phase switch is if the radiation from the bass top works against the radiation from the cab. That could be solved by direction and distance of the cab to the bass, but in many cases that is not convenient. A phase switch inverts the signal (it does not shift phase, just inverts it, but sound source distance shifts phase), which can solve a issue fast but can also make things worse (you need to try and listen to the bass frequencies).

19. Mouldy

Mouldy

Feb 27, 2010
    Western Australia
    Thanks DoubleMIDI. I was hoping someone would include that. :)

20. Mouldy

Mouldy

Feb 27, 2010
    Western Australia
    Did you end up trying the Biesele mag pickup and can you give a comparison with the Krivo mag?