Kubicki Ex-Factor

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 0scar, Oct 26, 2005.

1. 0scar

Jul 11, 2003
    Hey all, I'm getting my father's Kubicki fixed and I was wondering if maybe some of you with experience can tell me what this bass feels like, or maybe what bass is comparable to?

I've already looked up some of the threads but I can only find little chunks and pieces of information, which is why I made this thread :bassist:
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's like nothing I've ever played. It's a beast into itself and while it's a 32" scale, the E string is really 34" with an extra two frets going to a low D and has a self contained capo. It's a wonderful setup and I think they're great, and as a matter of fact, if the one I played had working electronics, I would've picked it up. They play really well.
  3. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Actually they're 32". The necks are pretty fast and narrow - slick comes to mind. I had a couple - very well made, ergonomic and sounded good. Real nice basses.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's what I meant. Changed my post. I just remembered that it was the most comfortable 32" bass I've ever played.
  5. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    You're right - with that 32" scale and their neck profile they are very "grip" friendly. You can fly around on them all day long.

Play a Fender C neck for a while and then pick up one of these - you'll be untieing the knots in your fingers! :D
  6. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Great instruments..

Lots of sound options on board with the 5 position active/passive circuit.

The X Factor has the capo in place and you can open up the E string to a D string without changing your fingerings...

Very easy to set up...

Ergomically comfortable .

You can send it back to Phil Kubicki for restoration..
    I had him do my 86 X factor and he did a great job..
  7. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    Doesn't Stu Hamm use an X-Factor?
  8. 57pbass

He did for a while..he now uses his Fender Stuu Hamm Sig...
  9. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I had a 1988 in mint condition. It has a nice home on NJ now. I agree with all the comments already posted. I would still have it except I had to sell to pay for other items. I'm sure you'll be happy with the bass.
  10. psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    How are Kubickis at producing a warm tone? Ya know, when you roll off the highs; can you get that smooth warm tone?
  11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    I played one a looooooooong time ago, and was floored by it.

And just to clarify, when the low string is capoed to E, it's 32" scale like the other strings. But release the capo to add the two extra frets down to D, and the length. is 35.9". Awesome.
  12. 57pbass

The Kubicki can produce a very warm sound ..it actually can produce a full range of sounds...
    It has many options with the circuit...