Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kubicki Factor

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 0scar, Apr 13, 2005.

1. 0scar

0scar

Jul 11, 2003
    My dad gave me his broken Kubicki, which I'll be sending off to Phil to get fixed sometime soon. I'm sure this would be a pretty sweet bass to fix up and play, but I'm not really sure If I'd really want it :-\ not that I don't appreciate it, but I'd rather trade it for some other bass...possibly a nice old 5 string Ric or something while still keeping some extra cash in my pocket.

Should I trade or stay with it? Also, if I were to trade, what other good alternatives are there out there?

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Heath the Great will tell you to trade it for a KSD Jazz Bass, but its really up to you. You might find once the bass in fixed it becomes a favourite player and you want to keep it.

Is the reason you dont what the Kubicki because of the way it sounds? looks? plays? without knowing that, its hard to make recommendations.

Im not sure how long Ric have been making 5 strings, but I am not sure if you will get an old one (as they havent been around that long) and I have also heard that they should really stick to making 4 strings as the 5 strings are not so great.

3. 0scar

0scar

Jul 11, 2003
    Hmm...well, I have mixed feelings on the aesthetic qualities of the bass, but that wouldn't scare me away. I like the sound of a Ric better, and I'd rather have a 5 string since I'm more used to them. The Kubicki has that cool drop D latch but No Low B, heh.

4. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Getting it fixed up is a great thing. However, I'd still keep it anyway. I mean, it was your dad's old bass. It could be like a family heirloom. Of course, once it gets all fixed up and dad plays it again recalling the buttery smoothness, he may/ may not allow you to pry it from his hands.

Keep dad happy. Keep the bass. Getting a fresh bass is easy. But it will never be the bass your dad passed down to you.

For the "Dad" factor alone, I'd keep it if I were in your shoes.

Plus your profile says you already have a pair of fivers. And a good 4 is IMO key in any bassist's arsenal. Easier to get that mighty E-string slap, among other things.

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    +1 for what Dincrest said.
    I have a K and it's a great bass.

6. BassmanA440

BassmanA440

Feb 3, 2005
    Dallas
    +1 on the "Dad" Factor. Keep it. You'll hate yourself a couple years down the road if you trade it.

7. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I wish my dad had given me a bass :bawl:

...Of course, he never played bass :smug:

8. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX