1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

L2000 Strings with silk

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by thorplaysbass, Aug 6, 2012.

1. I'm not smart about this stuff, so sorry if I sound stupid. Sorry about the wall of text.. Anyway,

I have an 80s L2000 and every time I string it up with a set of strings with the silk ends behind the nut, it falls off.

I'll string it up, start to tune it too pitch, get it near pitch..then it starts to slide out of the tuning peg and eventually pops out. The part of the string that bends into the tuner shrinks about 80% of what it's supposed to be.

I've put these strings on other basses, so I'm confused. It works fine with strings without the silk ends. I've had this problem before with every string, and I was told to tighten something in the back. It fixed it, but its back again.

Maybe I'm stringing this one wrong, I'm not sure. Has anybody else had this problem with an instrument? How have you gone about fixing it? Any help is greatly loved. I'm talking to my tech about it tomorrow, but figured I'd get some more opinions

P.S. I apologize for posting this in the wrong forum earlier. So please accept it, to whichever mod I just created work for because I have no clue how to delete a post.

2. This sounds very strange... so either I am not understanding correctly or you are stringing the bass in an odd manner.
    Can you post a couple of pictures? An image being worth 1000 words and all that ;)
    I'm sure that with a picture you will get some useful feedback.

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Two things to note here.

First is the proper way to install strings. You need to make a right angle bend at the point that the string will leave the hole in the centre of the tuner. Once inserted and the tuner is starting to wrap the string onto the post, you need to make a sharp bend in the string. So a sharp right angle out of the centre hole, then another sharp right angle at the edge of the tuner post. Done properly, the string won't slip.

Second, the silk has two functions. The first is looks. Cool colours and all. The second is that the silk helps to prevent marring of the tuner post from the friction of the string wrapping around the post. The side effect of the silk is that it has a tendency to soften the grip of the string on the post. But that's inconsequential if the string is properly installed.

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

How many wraps? Also, I've never had this problem. You are doing something wrong and tightening something on the back of the tuner (???) isn't going to help.

5. I took it to my tech today and he helped me out. This wasn't the same problem I had when tightening helped, just similar, sorry I wasn't clear about that. I don't know how it is that I'd string this bass wrong and my others right. But I wouldn't be surprised. My tech roughed up the Holes on the tuning peg a little and it works fine now. He said it might of been slightly lubricated from something I tried earlier. Tuning pegs are rusted so I have to once in a while to tune it. Probably should just get new ones.

If I am too buy new tuners, because they're rusted, which would be suggested for an 80's L2000. Are they the same as the newer models?

6. Still A bit confused.
    Do you have pictures of your strings wound around the post?
    Even if some oil gets to them, I can't imagine my strings unwinding, at least not the way I wind them (which is the way I see most people do it)

7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

^ I'm with you Mac. The only time I had slippage was the E string from a jazz going on my string through G-3. On the jazz it had 2-1/2 turns; not enough for the extra length of string through.