Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

L2500 finishes help!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Murf, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Hi guys/gals,
    I'm making the jump from 4 to 5 strings and I've decided on the L2500. Unfortunately where I'm from the stores only seem to stock 'em witn the "sunburst" finish which to be honest I dont like.

So, I have to order it directly from the workshop in Fullerton, the problem is I cant decide on which finish I want so I'd be grateful if any of you L2500 owners could post pics of your instruments so I can get an idea of how the finishes look actually applied to the bass (I'm aware of another thread similar to this where folks posted pics of their G&L's however most of the pics supplied are of SB's and asats , I'm refering specifically to L2500s).

I'm interested in either the natural gloss or redburst at the moment but please feel free to post pics of any/all finishes (except sunburst ;) ). I'm very open minded (except about sunburst :D ).

thanks in advance

cheers

Murf.

2. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Here's the store photo for mine. Tobacco Burst. Looks better in person and I get compliments on it's beauty all the time. There's a couple of more action shots on My Gallery

3. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    President: MusicDojo.com
    Well, the one I had a short time had one of the most beautiful transparent blue finishes...Like a caribbean blue...absolutely gorgeous. This was in the days before digital cameras, though.

4. I only have two L2500's, so here are the pix.

First up, blueburst.

[​IMG]

5. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Great stuff guys thanks a lot, may I ask why you went for the rosewood necks rather than the maple?

also fenderjazz68 does that blueburst have the "trim"? (every pic of the blueburst I've seen has it with the beigey trim around it which looks a bit "odd" imo).

cheers.

Murf

6. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Hey LoJoe, thats a gorgeous looking finish, funny but going by the GLguitars website the tobacco burst would have been the last finish I woujld have gone for, but I must admit it looks great in those pics in your gallery (this is exactly why I'm looking for pics)

cheers

Murf

7. 1) I like the look.
    2) Rosewood is warmer sounding. Maple is just a little to bright for me.

Just a reflection, it's all black.

8. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Brown sunburst, foo'.

9. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I played an L-2000 in green burst. That thing was beautiful. Gassing for one now. Green isn't for everyone but I like it.

10. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
  11. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Thanks for the compliment on the Tobacco Burst. I would not have picked this color either. I got it over the internet new from Guitar Adoptions and did not have a choice on colors as it was the only one they had in stock at the time. Their response to inquiry price was amazingly low and the color became secondary however. Once I got it, it grew on me instantly, and as I said, I get non stop compliments about it. They currently have a Blue One up for sale.

I also came across this white one at Buffalo Bros.

12. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Thanks for replying, I like that blueburst (without the trim) do u have a matching headstock?.

I kinda like the "look" of the maple neck but I've recently being playing a 1974 stingray with a maple neck and I find it "sweats" a lot ie I find myself drying my hands after every tune, now it could be me but I never experienced this with rosewood necks.

13. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Even Before Fenderjazz68 posted this, i knew this is the finish that i would get. I love blue finishes, especially blue bursts.

14. Unfortunately, no. Got it used, one of the old generation L2500's with a 4+1 headstock.

15. It is a nice finish ! Blue is cool looking. :eek:

16. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    :eek:
    That black/maple combo looks schaweet. Me want!

17. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Bucks County Eh, I'm working right across the river @ Merrill Lynch in Hopewell, NJ.

18. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    hey....that where I live too.

danman