1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

La Bella users?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by improvpwnd, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Anyone use/used La Bella strings? Like them? Hate them? Anything?!:confused:

2. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    I use Labella Jamerson flats and I love them. Great strings with a great sound. The only other flats that compare are the fender 9050m IMO, but I prefer the Labella slightly.

3. bobalu

bobalu Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    I have LaBella flats on my deluxe Jazz. Wonderful smooth feel, the tension is not too loose (ie: "rubbery", if you know what I mean) and I'm very happy with the tone. I have used the TI flats, which are fine as well, but a little more looser feeling. This is not a bad thing, just different. The tone, IMO, is similar between the two (rich and mellow, to my ears).

4. La Bella Deep Talking Bass Strings ( Nylon Tape Wound )
    Not cheap but worth it. I.M.H.O.
    Winky B.

5. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    LaBella 760 FL on an SX '75 Jazz bass.

I'm really liking these strings...

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I use Hard Rockin' Steels, which are the best strings I can find here. I mean, I like DR Hi-Beams even more (bought a set once through juststrings.com since local stores don't carry'em), but I'm happy with HRSs anyway. Great strings IMO.

7. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    I placed an order like two months ago for some LaBella strings. They should be here in about a month. When they get here, I'm gonna be jumping up and down, and going, "woohoo! Woohoo!", kind of lack in the old Daffy Duck cartoons. Of course, they'll be arriving attached to a Rob Allen bass, but um... I'm just excited about the strings getting here. ;)

8. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Stock on Rob Allen.

I also tried the jamerson set on my warwick. That was my high action period. Some things were literally unplayable on the instrument. I used it in my original rock band and played some blues on it. It all sounded amazing, but it was very very hard to play. High tension but a great sound.

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    In light gauges (for all the below) I've used and liked the Carvin ones which are I think Deep Talkin', and the [tapercore] Slappers and Super Steps. I like the sound of their tapewounds and flats too.

10. Cool. I'll give them a try. One other thing though...is the only difference between steel and nickel the sound...or do they feel different too?

11. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Yeah they take some getting used, but I can play upright after not playing for a while and it doesn't kill my hands. Not good if you want to play chords though, but if you want some ballsy bass they're great.

12. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Yea, luckily taht's what I was going for with them. Right now I'm enjoying effortless playability with lighter lower tension rounds and a low setup. But I'm also playing upright now! Life's a tradeoff I guess.

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I love the sound and feel of the Deep Talkin' Bass strings. Smooth, fat, and authoritative, like a sumo wrestler.

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've got the Deep Talkin' Bass nylon tapewound strings on my Tacoma Thunderchief ABG and my Brice 6 string fretless. Love 'em!

15. yeah, the black nylon tapewounds kill! they sound great for just about everything. except aggressive slap and pop nu-metal funk stuff.

the jazzy tone is the ultimate. really lets you get a nice upright kinda sound without having to haul the real deal across town.

and the highs are nice and smooth. not too harsh like alot of strings.

and they are great for those fretless fingerboards

16. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have the Hard Rockin Steels on my Carvin and they are AMAZING! The low b is strong and loud for the first time! :hyper: I was going to sell the bass but now I am keeping it cause the tone is now just awesome! I tried, DR, KSD, and a few others but nothing came close.

17. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Yeah, for both of my basses their low B strings are among the best - and they match up well in tone and tension/flexibility with the set gauges I like to use, which I think is a big part of getting a B string that works well for actually PLAYING on.

18. babaseen

babaseen The New M'Taboo Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    I've been through just as many strings as you can name, one time or another...I'm presently using the Hard Rockin' Steels on my Status S-2 (with D-Tuner) and love them...just the right tension and tone for slap and fingerstyle IMHO

19. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    Their flats are the best, pollished smooth finnish (unlike most other brands) and big fat tone, warm with NO clang like D'Addario Chromes (YUCK!, my LEAST favorite flats)

If you need some convincing here's a couple of LaBella flat users:

James Jamerson
    Donnald "Duck" Dunn
    Paul McCartney

A short but VERY sweet list.

~Paul :)

20. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I have a set of DTB nylon tape wounds on my Ibanez 5-string ABG. My Squier P may get a set of them soon. Has anyone tried LaBella DTB nylon tapes on a P? Any opinions?