1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Labella flatwounds. 52-110

Discussion in 'Ask Adam Nitti' started by johnhenry, Mar 5, 2016.

1. My bass is a 1964 Fender Precision. I've had it 39 years and though it's not mint it's a beauty. I really like the sound and feel of LaBella medium gauge flatwounds but I'm having a difficult time getting the E string to play in tune up the neck. The barrel bridge is way back and I've shortened the screw but it still plays sharp. I wonder if it's a truss rod adjustment? It seems to me these strings were made for this bass so there must be a fix for this that I don't know about. Please help!

2. adamnitti

adamnitti

Nov 29, 2001
    Nice bass! I have a '64 Jazz that is one of my main recording basses. Love it. Can't really comment on LaBella strings since I use D'Addarios, but if you've reached the limit of adjustment for intonation and can't keep it in tune I would try another brand or model string before digging deeper into fretwork issues.

3. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    I also experienced intonation problems with LaBella E string of that gauge. Switched to D'addario, very similar feeling and sound but with much better intonation. I use 45-100 and very happy with them!

adamnitti likes this.