Labella light gauge flats ok on slender neck Ibanez ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cbnutt, Apr 30, 2018.

1. cbnutt

cbnutt

Jan 9, 2018
    SR400 , small neck, would the light gauge be safe on it tension wise ? Thanks .

2. 760FL (43-60-82-104) will be just fine. In terms of the actual tension (as in pulling weight), they're not any heavier than a typical medium-gauge set of rounds 45-105.

Being "skinny" doesn't have to mean "wimpy".

Solarmist, rob_thebassman and cbnutt like this.
  3. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I have Tijf344 on my SR300E currently.
    But I strung Ghs PW ML7200 on first day I bought the SR300E. The ML7200 tension is close to labella 760FX set maybe 760FL.
    But I would suggest labella LTF4A if you really care with your SR400 neck.

Hopehelp

cbnutt likes this.
  4. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    Wish I'd have discovered that alot early, I always thought the heavier the better, boy was I wrong haha. Much prefer a 100 to a 105 nowadays

5. ixlramp

ixlramp Guest

Jan 25, 2005
    'light gauge' usually means lower tension, so it's odd you would be concerned about tension. What set and gauges are you referring to?

6. cbnutt

cbnutt

Jan 9, 2018
    the ones that go up to 104 on the E , some say LDF ,s are considered high tension ?

7. That's the 760FL set I mentioned earlier.

La Bella flats can feel "stiffer" to play on if you're used to rounds, but that doesn't mean they're hard on the neck of your bass in terms of the actual pulling weight.

cbnutt likes this.
  8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

michael_t is correct. Really heavy gauge flat wounds are (relatively) high tension - but so are heavy gauge rounds. High tension is mostly a function of the string's core diameter, and the tension required to pull it to pitch. Some "normal" gauge flats may be slightly higher tension than some "normal" gauge rounds; but the reverse is also true. What almost all flat wounds are, is stiffer than rounds. But, that's just because of the flat outer wrap. A lot of folks confuse "high tension" with "stiff", but they aren't always the same thing. I'd be a little leery of putting a set of Roto Steve Harris Signature Flats, or La Bella's "Jamerson" flats on that SR400 (they are heavy gauge/high tension), but any of the La Bella flats with a 105/less E string will be OK. The La Bella LTF's (Low Tension Flats) will also sound good, and set your mind at ease, too...:thumbsup:

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    cbnutt and michael_t like this.
  9. Ibby SR necks are thin yes, but I wouldn't hesitate to use light gauge flats or medium for that ... they do have truss rods you know, and they come stock with Elixir 45105 which are fairly high tension strings for rounds - at least compared D'Add rounds.

cbnutt likes this.
  10. Thuddy Waters

Thuddy Waters

Mar 20, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I wish someone would have told that to poor Mac.
    The Insult That Made A Man Out of Mac.jpg

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022