1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland 44-01 with P pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Luka38, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Luka38

Luka38

Aug 12, 2009
    As the title says i want to install a P pickup in my 44-01. I was thinking Seymour Duncan SPB-1 or SPB-2. So here is a couple of questions:
    1. Which sounds better, I'm going for Gordon Moakes (Bloc Party bassist) kind of sound.
    2. What is a better pickup to go with 44-01's bridge pickup (output wise)
    3. Approximately how much would the routing, installing and making a new pickguard cost me if I gave it to a tech guy to do it. Because I don't have that much experience with bass routing so I don't want to butcher it.
    Thanks for all the help in advance;)

2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Instead of hacking your bass, why not have an MK1 sized pickup made that implements split coils. The Nord Big Split for instance has something of a PBass vibe to it... Take that basic design and then request it to be a little hotter - the Big SPlit is a little more polite than a good P Bass pickup.

Of the two pickups you mention the spb-1 is by far the better to my ear. it's much more even across the range. the SPB-2 had a low mids bump that masked the real low end and also the upper mids... a common failing in overwound 'hot' pickups in my experience.

I've actually been thinking about that MK1 replacment for a while... I have a 55-01 with an Audere pre. I've been thinking a P90 style construction (bottom mount magnets, adjustable poles but split coils) all in the standard soapbar housing. I need another conversation with Pete Biltoft at Vintage Vibe before I get going on it.

3. dannnnn

dannnnn

Nov 14, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    I know it's not exactly what you had in mind, but you might be able to use a 4-94 pickguard from Jeannie's and put a j-type pickup at the neck position. It would involve less modifying of the bass. I thought about doing that when I had a 44-01, although I'm not 100% sure about the fit of the pickguard. :meh:

4. Luka38

Luka38

Aug 12, 2009
    @4Mal
    I was thinking about getting Nordstrand big splits, but i haven't had a chance to hear them and compare them to P pickups. How do they sound in your opinion?

@dannnnn
    That is a great idea, but what j pickup sounds the closest to the p?

And does the spb-1 pickup have less output than 44-01's bridge pickup?