1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lakland Badluck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PhunkyChunky, Mar 11, 2013.

1. PhunkyChunky

PhunkyChunky

Dec 19, 2012
    Hi guys,

A friend of mine wanted to help me after a show and he didn't lock the latch on my case properly and my brand new 1 month old 55-02 from lakland felt on the floor causing a BIG chip around the input plate.

I was wondering if It can be repaired by myself and if so....how? Wich product should i use and avoid? Thanks a lot.

Here's a pic of the damage :bawl:

laklandinput damage.

Thanks a lot.

A bass player really discouraged at the moment.....

BTW, sorry for my english, i'm a french canadian....

2. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I would contact Lakland and see if they had any repair recommendations.

3. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Don't worry about it. Such bruises add character to the bass.

4. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Most of us have had a bass fall over before. It does suck.
    Check with Lakland first, or visit a reputable repair shop.

5. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sorry to hear this

6. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Ouch. Yeah, the first ding on a new bass is the worst.

+1 that you take it to a good luthier. I've seen some videos of amazing touch-up repairs. Dan Erlewine's got some on YouTube, IIRC.

Not to denigrate your abilities, but a botched DIY touch-up is worse than leaving it alone. Uh--I learned that by botching some touch-ups, myself.

7. PhunkyChunky

PhunkyChunky

Dec 19, 2012
    I already write an email to Lakland on their website and FB, i'll wait until i get an answer from them....

My old Stingray have a chip around the same area due to a faulty strap and i let it like that, but the lakland is only one month old and the ground wire (green one) is exiting from the input plate from the hole that occurs from the fall, that's the other reason why i would like to repair it at first. (i really dont know if my sentences are understandable...)

8. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    easy fix in the right hands!:)

9. PhunkyChunky

PhunkyChunky

Dec 19, 2012
    Well, after some emails with Brian from Lakland (what a nice guy), I'll probably check with "Michel Fournel" From M.F. Bass or Pierre Laporte From "Laporte et Courchenes" in Montreal to get the bass repaired. They are great guys to deal with and they are really talented guys for reparation like that. Brian said that the top coat is just a standard issue polyurethane that's very common in the guitar industry so, it's nothing exotic and they shouldnt have any problem dealing with that.

The other way would have been to send it back to lakland directly for a complete refinish job on the body but with the cost for shipping and all from the province of Quebec to Chicago its not something that i could afford at the moment.

Maybe i'll just leave it like that for now and one day, i'll send it to a good luthier for a complete repainting/refinishing job...

Thanks all for your support :)

10. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Wow. Sorry to see this. That sure is some thick poly.

11. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Sorry to hear about that....painful!

Glad Brian was able to give you some recommendations....

Good luck...

12. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

Feb 3, 2012
    S/E Michigan
    a different cool option would be to ask around and see if you can find a machinist that plays bass, or a bassist that does machine work, and have them make a custom jack plate.

13. It's good to have options! And look at it this way -- the first ding had to come sooner or later. Although yours is a doozie that came a bit too soon for my tastes.

Bon chance!