Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lakland Comparison

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 95JettaCity, Mar 10, 2006.

1. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I was wondering if someone could please give me a clear-cut comparison between the Lakland Joe Osborn and Darryl Jones. I know that the JO has more of a traditional jazz bass body and amazing Fralin passive pu's, but just how does it comapre to DJ?

Thanks!

2. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    Word around these parts is that the JO is more like a 60's Jazz Bass, and the DJ more like a 70's Jazz Bass.

3. Hmm, JO vs. DJ

• Full size body vs. smaller body
    • Lindy Fralin pickups (more "vintage") vs. Aeros (more aggressive)
    • 20 (4 string) or 22 (5 string) frets vs. 21
    • Dot inlays vs. block inlays, bound fretboard, and matching headstock

Those are the major differences. Of course, you can special order a JO with Aeros or a DJ with Fralins, and either can be ordered with Dakrstar pickups or a J-Retro preamp. So, you can minimize the tonal differences if you particularly like the look of one or the other.

Mike

4. +1 on the above. I'm not hearing so much of a 60's versus 70's thing, although I guess the DJ would tilt more toward a 70's sound.. but it sounds unique.. very mid growly and aggressive. I greatly prefer the DJ!

5. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    The fretboard radii are different. The DJ has a rounder, more vintage, fretboard.

Physical differences between the basses are all listed very nicely on the Lakland site. Take a few minutes and read up on it. http://www.lakland.com/basses.htm Then come bace here and read the millions of posts about the tonal differences betweent the two.

Search dude.

6. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Thanks a lot guys for your opinions. And I did search as well as went on the website, along with many other reviews all over the net. I asked now because I wanted an updated and *NEW* opinion from fellow TB'ers. So before you go bashing on someone for asking a question... understand where they're coming from.

And for those of you who did help, I think you may be changing my mind towards the DJ a little more. I wish I had the money to purchase a new model, but since I'm looking for a used bass, I'm gonna have to consider the growly sound of the DJ over the traditional jazz look of the JO.

Thanks
    Andy

7. I don't see any bashing on anyone...?:confused:

Mike

8. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Can you order a JO with a DJ neck? I don't nearly have the funds to buy a Lakland, but somebody indulge my curiosity anyway.

9. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I think also the bridge pickup on the DJ is about 1/2" closer to the bridge, which is another reason for the more aggressive tone, IIRC.

10. No, you can't--they have different numbers of frets, for one thing, so they're really not interchangable. You can custom order a USA JO with blocks and binding and a matching headstock, but I don't think that's an option with the Skyline version.

Mike

11. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize

Yeah, I am pretty sure that if you buy a USA Lakland, it's kind of like Burger King, you can have it your way. Of course, it is much more expensive than a Skyline.

12. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Well I have an oppurtunity to pick up a JO 4 stringer in Lake Placid Blue (gorgeous) for a great price. I was thinking of just buying that and replacing it's electronics with the Aero pickups for the midrange growl and then the preamp with something to suit the sound.

Has anyone else done this? And how did it turn out?

Thanks!